NINETEEN

Photo Credit: dancers-tumblr.com, background-sites.google.com/a/fiestacommittee.org

Not typically something the mayor of a small town would do, that is crown the king and queen and stay for a dance...but thanks to Bill and his "resurrect the Golden Boy" idea, Graham has been committed to doing several events at the school. Have you been back to your school since graduation? Did you notice how it seems so much smaller and less impressive than it did back in the day? I look at my yearbooks and I wonder what in the world I was thinking when I decided to wear my hair that way...on purpose no less. (wink).

***

"You should probably drink juice instead of coffee." Mrs. Morgan said as she set a glass in front of Ray.

"Coffee for me, mom." He tossed out as he sat next to Ray, in case she needed a steadying hand.

"You can have some of my chocolate milk if you want." Jesse offered.

"Juice will be fine, but thank you." Ray smiled and rubbed his little back with her hand. "And I wanted to say thank you for Hector. It was nice to wake up and not be all alone."

"Daddy was there too, weren't you daddy."

"Yes, I was." Graham hid his smile behind his coffee mug as Jesse turned to another tangent and managed to cover at least ten topics in the next three minutes.

He watched Ray carefully, and she managed to get about a quarter of the pancake down before she set the fork down and slipped a hand over her stomach.

"I'll show you to your room." Graham announced as he stood to assist her.

"I can show her." Jesse jumped down and tugged on Ray's arm.

"You need to help me." Mrs. Morgan turned from the stove and looked from Ray to Graham before turning her eyes to Jesse. "We need to clean up in here and then we need to go to Ray-Ray's house and get some clean clothes for her to wear."

"I can do that." Jesse grabbed his plate and ran around the counter to the kitchen.

With a nod, Graham slipped an arm around her waist and helped Ray to stand. It took a moment before she stepped forward. Walking slowly, he held her loosely, letting her lean on him when she needed. He lowered her to the bed in the guest room and knelt to help her remove her shoes.

"You don't need to do that." She protested as she absently rubbed her forehead.

"No, I don't." he agreed as he set the second shoe on the floor.

His mother had already turned down the bed. Gently lifting her ankles, he tucked her feet under the covers and helped her to lay back before pulling the covers up where she could reach them without lifting her head again.

"You need to get some rest. Mom and I will keep Jesse out of here for a bit. There's a bell there next to the bed. It's the sick-bell. Ring it when you need something. One of us will come." He frowned. "Mom and I know you're a strong independent person. We won't think less of you if you let us help you. And Jesse has his heart set on being your helper while you get well...so let us help."

"I promise." She smiled even as her eyes fell closed.

Graham closed the door and went to help his mom and Jesse in the kitchen.

---

Last year, October

Graham stood before the assembled students and let his mind go back to when he was among them. It was a lifetime ago. It was yesterday. He smiled as he wrapped up his speech and ended by rousing them in shouts of victory.