Twenty-Two

I added an extra update last night, if you haven't read 21 read it first!
———

Calum carefully slips from the wraps of blankets around himself, pushing a pile against Skye's back as to help her not wake. Slipping from the tent as quietly as he can, he stretches before sliding his feet into his shoes. Locating the breakfast cooler from his car he sets to work starting up a fire, using a few tricks Asher had taught him to help build the heat more quickly. Smiling smuggly when he starts to feel the warmth come off it, telling him he did it right. Skye can doubt all she wants, but he still has some of the things she and her brothers taught him etched into his brain. Setting up the small stove over the heat he fixes the coffee, setting to work on mixing up some pancake batter.

"Something smells good this morning." he turns to see Skye stepping out of the tent, his hoodie wrapped tightly around her along with a blanket.

"I forgot how cute and cuddly you look in the morning when we are camping." Calum laughs as she takes a seat next to the fire.

"I'm impressed with your fire." She smiles softly.

"I told you I'd have it and breakfast going when you woke up this morning." He rolls his eyes, pouring a mug of coffee and handing it over to her.

"I shouldn't have doubted you, Cal, sorry."

"Do it again, I like the little look you get in your eyes when I impress you."

"Only on little things like your fire building abilities."

"Yes, please don't doubt me on anything big, we have had more than enough issues with those thoughts and everyone else doubting us in that way."

"No worries, maybe I'll doubt your ability to cook me dinner next."

"Give me some time to figure out how to prove you wrong and I will." He laughs, "What do you want on your pancakes? I brought berries, and whip cream, or traditional syrup.

"You know me better than that, Cal. Top that shit with all the berries." She grins.

"Just wanted to make sure." He shrugs, pulling the bag of berries out of the cooler beside him.

"Like the wonderful considerate person you are." She chuckles affectionately, taking the plate of food when he holds it out to her.

"You ready to pack up and get back to reality after this?" Calum asks after a few minutes of silence while they eat.

"Not really, I like this escape, that's what I've always loved about camping. But I am a lot more ready to face it knowing we are on the same side of things now. Knowing you've got me and I've got you, really this time."

"I like that part too." Calum smiles.

"Having you at my side is always a plus." Skye sighs, looking out over the little lake they are camped beside.

"Definitely a plus. And I plan to not let anyone else tell me not to have you by my side anymore. I promise."

"I know, Cal, you don't have to worry about that anymore. I promise."

"Good."

***

Driving back into LA is a little bit of a let down to Skye, her eyes watching the traffic build and the city come back into view. The feeling of reality and stress falling back onto her shoulders no matter how badly she wants it to not. The freeing feeling of being alone in the woods with Cal losing its touch on her mind as things settle.

"Don't start worrying now, baby. I've got you still. Not just in private, all the time, everywhere I am. You are my number one and I made sure I can make that a fact no matter what."