Thirty

"You sure about being here, Calum?" the lawyer asks again.

"I wouldn't have flown out here or withheld the truth from Skye if I wasn't." Calum rolls his eyes, watching the smaller city pass by the window of the car, his tongue rubbing against his teeth the only sign of the nerves he is actually feeling over the encounter he will have to have today.

"She doesn't know you're here?"

"No. She thinks it's a band related trip for a couple days." Calum shrugs, he didn't want Skye worrying about him confronting her dad over the charges. When he gets home he will tell her what actually happened.

"I mean, that wasn't a lie." Nate laughs, looking up from his phone finally.

"But it also wasn't the truth." Calum sighs.

"I hope you were right about this guys and we can get him off your back, Cal." Nate adds.

"Oh we have more than enough to threaten him with. He does not want what our background check found exposed." The lawyer answers in a no nonsense tone.

"Hopefully he's smart enough to drop the charges and let me walk away. He doesn't seem to be the smartest person." Calum half chuckles.

"If he wants to take it to court he's digging his own grave. I doubt he will though with what I've found, he doesn't have the money for it."

"I already knew that. He's doing this to get money. He thought we'd pay him off to drop the charges. He didn't think I'd be able to convince you guys to look into his background." Calum leans back, closing his eyes for a moment.

"Smart man you were to push for it." The lawyer nods, Calum realizing he should probably figure out what his name is.

"Nate hates the idea when I pitched it to him. He wanted to pay the guy off."

"From a publicity side of things it was the fastest option." Nate jumps to his own defense.

"But in this case it would have been very much the wrong option." Calum sighs.

"Yes, this time you were right. I'm glad I listened to you." Nate concedes, And Calum knows it's as close to an apology he is going to get.

"Should we see if we can get this figured out today then?" The lawyer is ready the second the car stops in the heart of the city, just outside the court house.

"Let's take care of business so we can move on." Nate nods, ushering Calum out of the car into the warm June sun.

***

"So you looked all hot and sexy on the gram a few days ago." Dana laughs, bumping Skye's shoulder as she passes her in the infant space of the daycare.

"First public appearance with Calum since we reconnected. You bet your ass I looked hot." She laughs.

"I bet he loved that."

"Enough to ask me to move back in with him." She grins.

"What? Congrats, Skye! I mean, I haven't actually met him but I'm happy for you." Dana grins, throwing her arms around Skye.

"Thanks. I'm pretty excited too. And Nika lost her shit when we told her. She was so excited. I was worried she wouldn't be excited yet, but I was wrong to think that."

"Aww. His kid loves you."

"She always did, just likes me again too. I'm glad though, because I love her so much."

"I know. I can see it in your face when you talk about her."

"Ya." Skye laughs, "Almost done? I'm ready to head home and sleep, it's been a long day."