One

Calum glances down, wiping his hands against the rough fabric of his black jeans. When he saw Skye at the diner he never thought he'd be this nervous about the date.

Taking a calming breath, he reaches up to knock on the door in front of him, praying it is not the worst decision of his life to attempt something with Skye again. The door seems to swing inward before he can drop his fist fully, Skye standing in front of him, looking gorgeous in a sundress and sandals, her hair and makeup looking natural and pristine.

"Hi-Hi." He stutters, clearing his throat as his ears heat up.

"Hi." She smiles softly, pulling her lips into her mouth nervously.

"Are you ready?" He tries more cooly.

"Unless you are canceling on me."

"I wouldn't have shown up if I was doing that." He chuckles.

"What are we doing tonight anyway?" Skye pulls the door shut behind her, locking it quickly.

"Don't hate me, but it's not anything too fancy."

"Calum, you have to know me well enough to know fancy isn't my thing."

"Ya, I guess I'm just nervous. Like my plan isn't good enough of a date for you. Even if I also think you're going to love it."

"Honestly, Cal, I'm just glad you even said yes to seeing me again. I don't even deserve to be here on a date with you." She smiles sadly, allowing him to help her with the passenger door to his upgraded Range Rover.

"That, Skye, is incorrect. I 100% believe you should be on this date with me." He comments before shutting her door and jogging around to the drivers seat.

"So what is the plan anyway? You just told me it wasn't fancy."

"We are going to the beach." He smiles, turning the ignition, "I put together a picnic, including all your old favorites, and we are going to enjoy watching the sunset, and then the stars."

"And you were worried I would hate it." She laughs, "That's my perfect date, Cal, and I know you know that."

"That's why I planned it this way. But I also feel like maybe a second first date deserves a lot more than a beach picnic."

"Not for me. I think this is the perfect second first date, it proves you still know me." She sighs.

"Good." Hs smiles, his shoulders seeming to relax a little bit, "So, how's the daycare thing you said you are running now?"

"It's the best. I love it so much. Nannying was fun, but this has allowed me to have my own life too, more than nannying did at least. I love it a lot, and it's sort of my baby. I started it with another girl that nannied for people in the public eye, and we have really grown the business into a real sustainable daycare center."

"That's amazing, Skye, I'm so happy for you."

"Thanks. It has been a lot of work, but it has all definitely been worth it."

"Your dreams always are."

"What about you, Cal? How's life been for you since we went our separate ways?"

"We put out another album about a year and a half ago. A little over a year after you left... I don't know if you kept following the band or not. And we are about to drop the first single from the sixth album. Honestly I cannot believe we are lucky enough to be making a sixth album."

"I've heard the album. I really enjoyed it too. Though some songs stung a bit."

"I had a lot of feelings to write about..." He sighs, scratching awkwardly at the back of his head.

"I'm sorry about that, Calum." Skye nearly blurts, biting her lip quickly, "I mean, I didn't really intend for me going home to end everything I had here. It just happened... I got so caught up with worrying about my mom, her health, her therapy, her medications, her bills, my brothers; I was a mess. And my life in LA was collateral damage, and in that damage was you, and Nika. And for every day since I realized I'd lost you both and all of my life here— I've regretted it. And I've wanted to apologize."

"I understand what happened, Skye. And I can't fault you for being home and being focused on your mom. I just wish it had been more concrete of an end. I waited for way too long. I wanted to believe it wouldn't ruin us, and I took out that anger of not having closure with you on a lot of people who didn't deserve it."

"I got the idea that I wasn't really welcome anymore when everyone stopped talking to me, or reaching out. I mean, even Sierra stopped talking to me, and she and I were as close as I've ever had to a sister."

"She was pretty hurt too. But I don't want to focus on the hurt, Skye, I want to see if maybe we can fix some of the past. Because what we had before was special. So tonight, let's focus on now, not on back then, okay?"

"I'd like that." She nods, sinking into her chair slightly as they drive towards the beach.

***

"Okay. Next question, how the fuck is Asher getting married?" Calum chuckles, "Isn't he still the lanky teenager who led us around all those big red rocks?" Calum chuckles, tossing a grape at Skye.

"Nope." She laughs, flinching as the grape bounces off her cheek, "He's twenty-three now. His fiancée is the sweetest girl, she's perfect for him."

"I knew a girl once who was sweet and sassy, and seemed like the perfect girl for me." He smiles, tossing the container of grapes back into the basket and leaning back on his hands.

"Oh ya?" Skye cocks an eyebrow.

"Ya, then she had to be responsible and ran away." He smirks.

"Damn, the one that got away? That really is the saddest love story."

"It was, but I'm thinking there might be a plot twist. I don't know if everyone will like it though."

"Are you liking it so far?"

"I think so..."

"Who are you most worried won't like it?" She lays back against the warm blanket, watching the last rays of sun disappearing beyond the horizon.

"Nika." He doesn't hesitate at all with his answer, and if Skye is being honest she knew it would be her.

"I'm worried about that one too. I know I hurt her, and I know I hurt her when she was too young to rationalize why I hurt her."

"If this turns out how I'm hoping, I'll figure out how to get her on board."

"You're hoping this turns out well?" She rolls to her stomach to grin at him.

"I think so far, it already is. This is the best night I've had in longer than I can remember."

"Me too." She smiles thoughtfully at him before it turns into a mischievous little grin.

"Wha—" "Catch me if you can." She giggles, jumping to her feet and racing away from him towards the shoreline.

Not one to lose, Calum jumps to his feet, his long legs carrying him more quickly after her. His arm snaking around her waist as she squeals, though if that is a reaction to his catching her or the icy water around their ankles is a different question. "Caught you." He mumbles in her ear, hugging her tightly.

"Oh ya, what are you going to do with me then?" She smirks.

"Never let go again." He chuckles softly, dipping his head without warning to connect his lips to hers. Both relaxing quickly into the familiarity of a kiss they'd been dying to taste again.

———————————
Predictions for how this story goes?

I have it 100% planned out, and I hope you guys enjoy it.

Make sure it's saved to your Libraries!

Vote and comment!!

I love you guys!!!

~M =)