-19- 💋 Dancing All Alone

"Let's take our time tonight, above us all the stars are watching. There's no place I'd rather be in this world, your eyes are where I'm lost in. Underneath the chandelier we're dancing all alone. There's no reason to hide what we're feeling inside right now."
~Bruno Mars, 'Versace on the Floor'

~~~

*Fighter's POV*

"Xan!" I jog to catch up to the man down the hall. "Have you seen Saifah?"

Xan's lips quirk up in a smile. "Is that any way to greet the man who practically raised you?"

Rolling my eyes, I flash him the cheesiest smile I can muster. "Oh, great and generous Xan! Would you please assist me in locating your son?"

"Smart-ass," Xan snorts with a chuckle. "He's been assigned to the vegetable gardens for the day. Poor kid was looking a bit pale from all his slacking off, so I thought some time in the sun would do him good."

I snicker at his sarcasm. "Thanks, I'll check there."

"Oh, Fighter," Xan stops me as I'm turning to leave. "I wanted to ask you something."

Raising an eyebrow, I nod at him to continue. "Go ahead."

"This thing you have going on with the prince," he starts in a low voice. "Is it serious?"

"It is," I say without any hesitation. Although, this is the first time Xan has asked me about my relationship with Tutor, and it's putting me on edge. "Why do you ask?"

"Fighter," he sighs, placing his hand on my shoulder. "You're like a son to me. The prince, too. I've known you both for a long time, and have taken active roles in your upbringings. I would hate to see either one of you come into harms way as a result of this affair." I gulp, turning my gaze to the ground. "But... if you are serious about this relationship, you have my support. I will do everything within my power to protect both of you. As I have always told Saifah, I would put the lives of my sons before my own."

A surge of emotions causes my eyes to water at the powerful oath Xan just made. Not only to me, but to Tutor as well. Not having the words to adequately express my thanks, I throw my arms around him in a tight hug. Xan chuckles softly, patting my back.

"Now, go," Xan instructs as he pushes me away. "I didn't give you a day off so you could cry over an old man. But don't distract Saifah for too long! The boy slacks off enough as it is."

I grin with a nod before heading outside. Saifah is pretty easy to find, hunched over the tomato plants with exaggerated fatigue etched on his face.

"Sai!" I call out, making him look up at me with a relieved grin.

"Please tell me you're here to rescue me," he begs with puppy eyes.

"Actually, yes. I need a favor."

Saifah stands, wiping the dirt off his hands. "What's up?"

"Follow me."

Leading him back inside the palace, Saifah stays quiet as I pull him into his room and lock the door. He turns, looking at me with a brow raised in amusement.

"Well, well. I didn't realize you felt this way about me," he teases, making me roll my eyes.

"Shut up," I grumble as I pull something out of my pocket and hold it up. Saifah's expression changes to one of surprise when he sees the object in my hand.

"Is that...?"

I nod my head. "The necklace your dad gave me years ago. I was wondering if you could cast another protection spell on it."