Chapter 8 [3] - Sugino and Kanzaki: With Stupid Canadian Geese...

Coal Harbour: What used to be an industrial zone is now a vibrant public space with shops and art fixtures

Coal Harbour: What used to be an industrial zone is now a vibrant public space with shops and art fixtures. No, this place isn't built on coal blocks.

Korosensei's Fun Fact: The two most popular art pieces in Coal Harbour are the Digital Orca (representing the famous whales common around here and the growing tech business of the city) and The Drop (representing the amount of rain Vancouver gets in a year.)

"Huh, interesting..." Baseball Prodigy Tomohito Sugino said as he and Kanzaki read the guidebook.

The two friends decided to stay close to the Olympic Cauldron because they were both really tired after stopping by so many places around the world. However, for Sugino, this was a perfect opportunity.

You see, Sugino has a really big crush on his "Smartiepants by Day and Gamer by Night" friend Yukiko Kanzaki.

I mean, who wouldn't? Long black hair, a feminine build, a sweet personality, is smart, and is also a pro gamer.

The two of them decided to grab some donuts from the famous Canadian chain Tim Hortons earlier and ate them by the waterfront.

The ocean breeze and sunny weather made up for the fact that these donuts were stale as hell.

"Can't believe I wasted my money on this," Sugino exclaimed. "That's ¥1500 gone!"

"You know," Kanzaki replied. "I could've paid for it. You didn't need to buy it for me!"

Sugino began to blush in embarrassment and said otherwise. Kanzaki giggled and continued to eat the donuts.

With the sky being blue and them being in a secluded spot where no students could go to, Sugino felt it was time to admit this crush of his.

"Hey, Kanzaki," Sugino spoke with a quiet tone. "Can I just say something?"

Kanzaki replied with a simple, "Sure. Go ahead."

With the tensions rising, Sugino began to sweat. He hasn't been this warm since his last baseball game. It was all coming together so fast. And, for once, he has the courage to attempt such a thing. Seeing her giggle gave Sugino newfound confidence.

And so, he sighed and put his hand on Kanzaki's shoulder.

"Yukiko Kanzaki," he spoke with a humble voice. "I... I... I lo-"

Suddenly, out of nowhere, a random Canada Goose swooped in and took Kanzaki's donut. The goose landed in front of the two and began eating the donut, almost as if it was taunting Sugino.

Obviously, Mr. Baseball was mad about this. No one ever takes your crush's stale donut!

And that's a fact of life.

"YOU DUMB GOOSE," Sugino yelled at the donut thief. "THAT'S HER STALE DONUT! GIVE IT BACK NOW!"

As Sugino lunged towards the goose, Kanzaki tried to pull him back, to no avail.

"Stop, Sugino," Kanzaki begged. "We have lots of donuts leftover!"

However, she stepped back as a once calm Sugino turned red. He was about to end this goose's life. That was his money that he spent on half-assed donuts for his crush. And he wasn't going to let it go to waste. Going in for the attack, Sugino rushed in. The goose did the same.

It was going to be a full-on Shonen Jump-style battle for the ages- and the goose flew away with the donut.

Well, that was a waste of time.

With all his energy released, he simply kneeled down in defeat.

"I'm so sorry, Kanzaki," he mumbled in a depressed tone. "I've failed you..."

Kanzaki, not wanting to see him down like this, went up to him and kneeled down. When Sugino looked to the left, he saw Kanzaki giving him a donut.

"Here," She said. "It may not taste good, but at least it'll make you happy!"

Sugino grabbed the donut and ate it. For once, it actually tasted good.

"Wow," he said in amazement. "The donuts actually taste good! Thanks, Kanzaki."

Upon hearing this and seeing her friend happy again, she smiled back as a thank you. The two friends smiled at each other and laughed over the incident.

"Oh, by the way," Kanzaki asked Sugino. "What were you going to tell me?"

Sugino, now with no confidence left, simply told her to ignore it and that it was just school stuff.

The two then walked back to Korosensei at the Olympic Cauldron to wait for their friends to come back.