Twenty One

I froze on the spot when I saw him in the distance. In the busy crowd of the event, he stood out. He always stood out for me. 

My first love, well my only love.

Jeon Jungkook

Henry pulled my arm a little bit and whispered near my ear

     'Y/n, are you okay?'

I guess I had such a strong physical reaction that I couldn't hide that even Henry noticed it. He normally wouldn't catch those signs too fast. 

I nodded  'yes, it is just a pain in my stomach, sorry' I smiled again, trying to pull myself together. As every step reduced the distance between the two of us the more nervous I got. I had no idea what he was doing here nor what he was going to do when we would be in introduced to each other. 

It was not even such a long way to their table but it sure felt like it.

We finally arrived at his table and Jungkook stood up. James was there with him he also stood up. 

James was also on the supervisory board and I had known him for quite some time already. He was actually one of the nicest guys I knew. He was an expat from Ireland. He and his family moved here 4 years ago when he was offered the role of CHRO at Samsung. as whiskey was a huge deal in Ireland and I was somewhat of an expert we bonded pretty quickly. Plus we were both CHRO's so I could always converse with him nicely regarding those people management topics and challenges. 

However, the conversations were often not business-centered but James would often in much detail tell me stories about his home country and the city he grew up in which was Dublin. I really wanted to visit Dublin once, it sounded like an amazing place. 

Henry had promised me we would go when he becomes CEO, to celebrate. But he had said it in the company of James so it might be an empty promise to act like a good husband. 

James gave me a hug and shook Henry's hand. Then he introduced Jungkook.

     'This is Jeon jeong guk'

Jungkook first shook hands with Henry who stared a bit too intensely at the tattoos-covered hands of Jungkook but he didn't say anything more about it.  Just the stare. 

       'This is my wife y/n' Henry indicated, I also shook Jungkook's hand but it was gentle. He squeezed it delicately for none to see but hard enough for me to feel.  I gasped slightly.

We all sat down. 

     'So Jeong guk, you were added as a member of the supervisory board quite recently as you became CFO, you are quite young for a CFO.' 

Henry immediately talked formally and he was quite business focused. That was pretty typical. He did seem genuinely impressed by Jungkook's recent appointment. 

      'So are you' he answered.

Henry smiled 'that is true.'

      'And what brings you to Seoul?'

      'I will be here a few days for business' Jungkook indicated.

      'And normally you reside in ?' Henry asked carefully.

      'I live in Busan.'  

      'oh Busan? y/n has done her bachelors there.' 

Jungkook's eyes went from Henry to me.

      'Oh really? how did you like the city?'

I was kind of zoomed out till that point. Going over and over in my mind what the fuck he was doing here. How the fuck this was even possible.

I snapped back to reality, gazing at Jungkook.

       'I loved my time there'

We stared into each other's eyes. Henry came closer caressing my arm, I saw Jungkook flinch a little. He whispered in my ear

      'babe you are trembling, you sure you're okay?'

I nodded with a faint smile 'yeah'

hell no, I needed to get the fuck out of here

       'I am going out for some fresh air' I whispered back. Henry nodded and kissed me on the cheek and again I couldn't unsee that Jungkook turned his head away.

It must look like I was in a loving marriage but Henry was only this way in public. In private the relationship was very different.

      'Excuse me, I will go out to the balcony for some air, it was nice to meet you jeong guk.'

      'Likewise y/n.' Jungkook's eyes had a hint of worry in it, I could still read the smallest expressions on his face. 

I bowed and walked away, making my way to the balcony. As soon as I stepped outside the fresh air hit me. The balcony was quite large and there were some other people there. Not too many as it wasn't the warmest night for this time of year and people weren't dressed too much for outside weather. I didn't care, I needed to get away and the cold air was actually quite refreshing. 

I leaned against the wall, as if it functioned as some sort of support.

I just couldn't wrap my mind around it, it was without a doubt him, but how?

I thought of that conversation 7 years ago. The goodbye.

"I have a plan"

I shook my head, no this must be some fucked up work of fate, like the universe pulling some weird prank. 

I mean I often tried to look him up, but he didn't have any social media or something and it wasn't until last week I heard a new member joined the supervisory board, there was no name and I figured I would meet that person at this event. 

I sometimes contacted Jimin and he also didn't say anything about this. I never suspected or imagined this in the least. And perhaps that was exactly what Jungkook's intention was. I only knew I needed to talk to him alone, and not in the presence of my husband nor my father.

Oh my god, my father was here. What if he recognized Jungkook? My anxiety quickly made place for a panic. 

I got my cigarettes out of my clutch, I put one in my mouth while with both hands I searched for the lighter. I sighed annoyed, this was not the time I was supposed to forget my fucking lighter.

I actually tried quitting smoking and I was doing good but with whatever was happening tonight I gave myself a free pass. I groaned as my hands roamed my clutch when suddenly I saw a lighter in the corner of my eye going to my cigarette lighting it. I was about to reach for my cigarette to first thank that person but as soon as I saw the hand my mouth opened in shock, and the cigarette fell out.