Chapter 46: Icarus

Chapter theme: Jeremy Zucker - Icarus

↬ G R E N O

The upcoming thesis defense sent a soft panic on me and it grew eventually when I noticed we're only few minutes away from school. Papa decided to drive for me because he knows I can't do it with my trembling hands.

"Where's the breakfast for the panels?" He asked. And I almost forgot about that. Dumaan tuloy muna kami ni papa sa town center na malapit lang sa campus para bumili ng pagkain sa drive thru.

"Pa, just buy anything. Good for three. I'll just make a call ha?" Tinapik-tapik ko pa siya sabay labas ng cellphone. Damn, I shouldn't be this nervous. 

Pero ang mas nakapagpakaba sa akin ang hindi pagsagot ng tinatawagan ko. I exhaled, frowning my lips. Tinago ko na lang tuloy ang phone. Baka busy pala.

I arrived at the Arki building five minutes early before the call time which is 7 AM. I already saw a few people from my section and also some from other section that will be presenting after us.

"I'm nervous. What if hindi nila ako ipasa?" Pinampaypay ng kaklase ko ang notes niya matapos akong tabihan. 

"Even our prof is jealous about how perfect your plates are. What are you saying?" I chuckled. She's Aisha, the top student. 

"Unpredictable pa rin. How about the perspective of the other panels?" She sighed. Hindi na tuloy ako nakasagot kasi may point naman.

That's the part that presenters usually dread, as we have no knowledge of the questions beforehand. That's why it's important to study and remember every part of your plates, the process, and basically everything. And also, no to just double checking. You have to check your plates over and over again. You might miss even a tiny bit of flaw that the panels might notice, and it's a minus for them.

Bumunot na kami ng sequence at pang-apat ako. It means mamaya pa akong 10:30 AM. I still got time to calm myself and skim my notes.

Pero mabilis lang na lumipas ang oras. 

My hands are cold as soon as I stepped inside the room. I saw our thesis adviser and the other section's thesis adviser, and another member of the thesis committee. Maximum time is 1 hour per student. 45 minutes for our presentation, 15 minutes for the panels' comments and critics.

I prepared a lot for this. I also did ran through a talk with Jahiem since he's good at presenting. I even rehearsed in front of him twice. Okay naman raw basta mas linawan ko lang ang bawat pronunciation. And of course, the confidence should be visible. Too bad, he can't come over since he's also busy with his thesis. But that's fine, I understand.

The PPT appeared and I started my presentation with a polite greeting. Their cold stone faces made me think of negative things such as "am I doing something wrong?" "or saying something wrong?", and most importantly, "did I missed an important detail?". But at the back of my mind, I know they are just like that to push us towards the best version ourselves. Pinipiga lang nila ang kakayahan namin.