"just go away"

"y/n" i felt someone shake me awake.

i rubbed my eyes and saw jem , jade, ronnie and nai standing over me. i looked at the clock and it was almost 11am.

"don't we have lessons?" i asked as i sat up. my head was hurting like a bitch.

"they told us on friday , we have today off because they needed to have a teachers meeting or something" ronnie said and i nodded as i remembered. 

"what happened yesterday?" nai asked and i looked at them in confusion because i didn't mention anything yesterday. 

"mattia called just now , he was asking us if you were okay and we were confused and then he said he thought you had told us already" jem explained. fuck. i told mattia i was going to tell them yesterday but i just didn't. awh he called to ask about me. 

"oh" was all i could say. i didn't know how to talk about it.

"what happened y/n" 

"um we decided to" i paused, "we decided to break up" i said quietly. fuck it felt a lot more real now. 

all of a sudden , all four of them wrapped their arms around me and i felt my eyes watering but i didn't want to cry in front of them all. i blinked a few times to get rid of the tears , just as they pulled away to look at me.

"why , you guys were going so strong" jem asked and she sounded so sad.

"distance" i answered with that one word. that fucking word.

"but you're both still in love with each other" jade said.

"yeah"

"how'd you do it if neither of you wanted to" nai asked.

"we didn't even know how to do it" i laughed a little as my voice wavered.

"we just spoke about it and agreed that it was the best thing to do" i said.

"you're not done, you two will be back together" jem said adamantly.

"we will. we said that once we're out of here , we'll be back" i reassured them , and myself.

"so until then?" ronnie asked.

"until then , we're best friends" i said as i laid my head on her shoulder.

"best friends who want nothing more than to be with each other and who are madly in love and hate this so much" i added with tears back in my eyes. 

"these next few months will go so fast , it will be okay" nai said , putting her arm around me.

"yeah and just imagine how exciting it will be when you finally get back together" jem added.

"and at least you both agreed on it and it wasn't a one sided thing" ronnie said and i nodded.

"and , on the bright side , me you, ronnie and nai are all single together" jade said which made us laugh.

"chile don't tempt me" jem said and we laughed again. 

there was a knock on the door and ale and kairi came running in and hugging me. 

"are you okay?" they asked.

"did he tell you" i asked.

"yeah , we were on the phone all night with him" kairi said.

"is he okay?" i asked.

"no, he misses you" ale said.

"i miss him too" i sighed.

"you're meant to be , he said it himself last night." kairi said which made my heart melt.