ϟ 1 ϟ

"donghyuck sweetie!" his mother called him before he could get out of their garden.

"yes mommy?" the teenager turned around, confused about why his mother was calling him. he was going to be late to class.

"you forgot my kiss." she smiled, poking her cheek.

donghyuck rolled his eyes, trotting back to her and pressing a light kiss on his mother's cheek.

"here! i'm not a baby anymore! i'm 16 today!" he whined.

"you'll be my baby forever donghyuck." she squished her son's cheeks. "now go to school. behave yourself and don't forget to be kind to your elders and avoid problem kids, okay?"

donghyuck nodded cutely.

"good." donghyuck's mother said before pecking her son's forehead. "happy birthday hyuckie! have a good day!"

ϟ

"happy birthday donghyuck!" chenle jumped on the boy, engulfing him in a bear hug as soon as he saw him in front of the school gates.

soon after, the four boys he was with wished donghyuck a happy birthday as well, hugging donghyuck tight.

"thank you, guys!" donghyuck smiled brightly.

"so? how's being 16 like?" renjun asked.

"well... nothing changes much. i still feel the same." donghyuck shrugged.

before his friend could answer, they were deafened by loud motorcycles passing by and parking next to them. the group of bikers then got off their bikes and took out their helmets, walking on school grounds as if they owned the place, one of them spiting his chewing gum right in front if jaemin's shoe, making him want to puke on the spot.

"see, turning 16 makes me realise that i will never be like that later." donghyuck said, his eyes following the bikers that were entering their school.

"i don't get why these people haven't been expelled yet. i'm sure they have done all the forbidden things they could do." jeno readjusted his bag on his shoulders.

"oh, we should head to class! the bell is about to ring!" jaemin declared, looking at his watch.

"let's meet at lunch then, we'll have a little birthday celebration for our donghyuckie!" jisung smiled.

donghyuck blushed slightly. "thanks guys, but i don't want anything too big, you know."

"don't worry about it." renjun patted his back. "now, let's go to class!"

and with those words, the six boys rushed to their first class.

they had been friends since long.

a bit more than five years actually.

they had met at the library, during a reading club that took place during the summer holiday. their parents had decided to register them in this club, and that's how the six of them had spent three hours a day for two weeks straight together, reading books inside a library. and basically, that's how their friendship had blossomed.

with the years going on, they kept their friendship, and they even begged their parents to go to the same middle school and high school, which their parents accepted. and that's where they were now.

renjun, jeno, jaemin and donghyuck were in the same class. chenle one year below them, and jisung being the younger of all, one year below chenle.

they still hung out together, all six of them, either at one of their houses or simply at the library, which was like their headquarters.

the school librarian was a second mother for all of them and she would let them do anything. that's what was cool with being a bookworm.

"happy birthday to you! happy birthday to you! happy birthday to you donghyuckie! happy birthday to you!" the five boys whisper-sang in order not to attract the attention of the whole canteen.

donghyuck flushed. he truly had the best friends. they really had bought him a small strawberry cake – his favourite – on which they had lit a candle.

"come on! make a wish and blow the candle!" jisung said, pointing at the candle.

"i don't have anything i can wish for! i already have anything i want..." donghyuck shrugged.

chenle shook his head. "there has to be something."

"i swear... i am perfectly happy with my life! i have both my parents who love me and spoil me, i have my books to offer me new horizons and to bring me to new worlds. and most important, i have the five best friends in the world, always here for me!" donghyuck listed. "i really don't need anything else."

the five boys around the table melted at donghyuck's speech.

"i know what you don't have." jaemin spoke.

"be quick because the candle is melting and it's going to spoil the cake." jisung said, eying the yummy food.

"what don't i have?" donghyuck raised a brow.

"a girlfriend."

"he told you he was gay." jeno smacked jaemin's head.

jaemin rubbed the back of his head. "well, a boyfriend then. no need to hit me. you don't have that."

"do i really need that?" donghyuck asked. "i already have the five of you..."

"we're not your boyfriends." renjun laughed. "a boyfriend would pamper you in kisses, warm you up if you're cold, protect you... he'll always be here for you. he'll be your other half, here to love the parts of you that you hate."

"guys. the candle is melting." jisung said, his eyes not leaving the cake.

"okay, quick donghyuck, make a wish." chenle pushed the cake in front of donghyuck.

donghyuck closed his eyes, thinking for a second before making his wish.

and then he opened his eyes and blew the candle, a smile plastered on his face.