Flashed Before My Eyes

Ash:
Well my "birthday" went more like an upcoming "deathday". But forget that, today was class photo day. Worst day for me. I remembered it so vividly. Freshman year, I was sorta a dork. I would say one of THOSE kids. Who would give off creepy vibes. I wore glasses , and had curly hair, which students would pick on me for. I never really smiled. I had no friends. And teachers didn't associate with me. You could say the entire school hated me. I kinda wished I had some of the feelings I had back them. I was so unbothered and cool with life. Now I'm a sociopath, who's obsess with school and human validation. "Next". The line got shorter and shorter each time. I was second in line. The flash caught me off guard. Everyone looked so presentable and smart. "Okay, come on right up, sir I said come on right up", the camera dude chuckled. "Oh", I laughed off my anxiety. I sat firm on the chair, while everyone watched. Not just a look. A whole death stare. Chhck. The picture was a time machine. One glance, and I was back in my two years with my life stretched before me. I recalled, sitting on this exact seat, gagging, by the thought of having a bad hair day. I instantly threw up on the photographer. Panicking. Disgusts in people's voice. Trying to escape, but instead, stuck in embarrassment. I was taken out of my trance. "Smile...oh my gosh, how much time will I have to s-." "I-I have to go". I burst out the exit door. Scurrying straight into the bathroom, as peers stare at me and giggled. This is so humiliating. I've never been in the school's bathroom before. Considering, I was taught to control my bladder at the early age of three. The interior of the washroom could be described as somewhat dilapidated. The light was bright and sterile, lacking even a trace of warmth. Inappropriate writings on the door. Ants and bugs swarming around me. It smelt of urine. Footsteps heard, getting closer. "Ash, are you in here". There was a small hole in the door so I could see whoever was speaking. Oh my gosh. It was Iris. Now's my chance to apologize to her. Wait, no . I'll look like an idiot. "I-I'm i'm here", I said shyly. "Oh, hey, you okay ?", Iris asked all breathy. "Yeah, something just got to me". "Open the door", she demanded, gently banging on it. I unlocked the passage and stood up. She kinda tipped her head at an angle and studied me. As soon as I could look at her, she hugged me. Not a tight hug, but a hug of gentle arms that still gives me space to breathe. "Don't you ever run off like that again, you could've totally nailed that photoshoot", she pursed her lips. "Yeah, I know I just got a flashback from the other time something bad went on, I don't wanna talk about it". "It's fine", she smiled. Her smile was the prettiest things I've seen. "Well, I better get going then". I could just tell by the way she walked, she was insecure. Her shoulders were hunched over. Her footsteps were light and timid. I could only imagine what she was going through. Thing is, she's not even ugly. No one's ugly. My jaw dropped, as I let her walk off on me. I felt an urge to do something in return from last time. I ran up to her, grabbed her hands, lifted her head from the floor,with my fingers. In this moment, I closed my eyes, and pressed my lips against hers. She gave me the same energy. I felt her body loosen and arms touch my shoulders. "It's payback", I chuckled beneath my breath. Then we hovered right there, quite soundless for so long, simply feeling each other's presence. "Ash, I think I have feelings for you". Haha, I love you too, Iris". I placed my arms around hers and we sat on the dirty floor in the bathroom. Yes, the dirty floor... Kinda proud of myself for that. No one actually made me feel this good, after something wrong happens. I normally, just have to forget about it by myself.

Last two years, school photo: