Chapter 39: Axolotl's Trial

"--lazar..."

"Ms. Salazar!"

I jumped on my seat as I snapped back to reality. I looked in front just to see my professor standing right in front of me looking so pissed. Halos magdugtong na ang mga kilay nito sa sama ng tingin sa akin. She's one of the teachers here who dislikes me the most.

I looked around and everyone's attention is now on me. I sighed and stood up before I returned my gaze back to my professor who I think is about to turn into a demon anytime now.

"I'm sorry, Miss. Can you please repeat the question?" I said in my most kind voice. I know it's my fault for not listening so I'm in no position to talk back.

I saw how her eyebrows twitched because of my kind response. She probably expected me to lash out or something. Well, I would probably have done that if I'm not at fault. I know my place.

"The next time I'll see you being so absent-minded in my class, I'll have you report the entire chapter of our lesson."

With that, she turned her back on me and walked towards in front. So, there was actually no question? Akala ko may tanong siya tapos hindi ko nasagot kaya galit na galit.

Napabuntong-hininga na lang ako bago bumalik sa pagkakaupo. I looked at my classmates who's attention are still on me and I raised my left eyebrow. They immediately looked away.

I flipped the pages of my textbook and acted like I'm actually reading.

Why was I so distracted today anyway? I was so deep in thought that I didn't even notice my professor approaching me.

Something feels off. But I don't really know what.

The entire class, I didn't understand a single thing. I would just suddenly find myself dazing out. It's a good thing my professor didn't catch me twice. I pretended to take notes but I would eventually just stare at my blank notebook like it's the most interesting thing in the world.

What the fuck is happening to me?

When the bell rang, I heaved a frustrated sigh before putting my stuff back inside my bag. Padabog akong tumayo at dire-diretsong naglakad palabas ng classroom.

Maybe I looked really scary because people would get out of my way before I can say anything. Kusa silang umaalis sa daan bago pa nila ako mabangga. I'm just really annoyed and it's annoying me even more because I don't know what's the reason.

Did I forget something? It's not Mom or Dad's birthday. Also not Colleen's. I made sure to lock the door in my condo unit. I also turned off the faucet and all the electric appliances.

What is it that's bothering me?!

"Ven!"

I stopped walking when someone called me. I turned around to see Colleen running clumsily in the hallway. It's my break time and maybe she's vacant today.

"Stop running or you'll end up kissing the floor again," iritado kong saway. She's really clumsy and she would always trip when she's not being careful.

She just giggled at me that made me roll my eyes. She clung her arms at mine and we walked together towards the cafeteria.

"I heard one of your professors scolded you today. What did you do?"

My brows furrowed and I looked at her, confusion plastered on my face. "How did you know that?"

"I just heard some girls talking when I'm on my way to you. They're your block mates maybe?"