Chapter 45: I Choose You

"Ven, what's taking you so long?"

"I'll be there in a minute. Stop pressuring me!"

I opened the faucet and splashed my face with cold water. I took my handkerchief out from my side pocket and wiped my face. I nervously stared at myself in the mirror. I look pale because of nervousness.

Damn, my hands are even shaking!

"Get a hold of yourself, Salazar. You've practiced a lot for this." I look crazy talking to myself but I don't fucking care. Kailangan kong kumalma dahil ilang minuto na lang ay kami na ang aakyat sa entablado upang mag perform.

I slapped my cheeks with both of my hands and squeezed my face. I look like a goldfish and it made me laughed.

I heaved a deep sigh before getting my bag and took all my make up out. I reapplied it on my face and darkens it a bit more for depth. I made sure not to overdo it so I won't look like a freaking clown.

When I'm satisfied, I made a playful pose in front of the mirror before going out of the comfort room. Colleen was waiting for me outside with a bored expression. I gave her a 'what?' look but she just rolled her eyes and held my hand to pull me.

"Your hand is cold as ice. You should really calm down."

Shit, I didn't know I was this nervous. I'm really trying but thinking that we would be up in any minute now freaks the hell out of me.

Today's the day of the mini competition we decided to join just here in the city. Kinakabahan ako dahil hindi lang mga kapuwa ko estudyante ang manonood at makakalaban namin.

There are tons of people watching even though it's only a mini competition! Even my parents are here!

I told Hellios not to tell anything pero nagulat na lamang ako dahil paglabas ko ng condo, nakaparada na sa labas ang kotse namin! Dad said he will take me here. I punched Hell hard on the chest while we were inside the car.

He just laughed at me mockingly.

I heard that they will broadcast the entire show in a local channel which really didn't help me to calm down. Why would they broadcast this?! What if I'll make a mistake? Kakalat 'yon sa social media!

"Yow!"

I glanced at Drake who's by the door of our waiting room here in the backstage. When he saw me, he opened his arms so I ran to him for a hug.

"Hindi naman halatang kinakabahan ka."

I hit him lightly on the face for mocking me. Why is everybody mocking me?!

"Kanina pa nga 'yan nilalamig, e. Partida, nakapatay na ang aircon," ginatungan pa ni Tyrone na prenteng nakaupo sa sofa. I glared at him for a second before rolling my eyes.

Bakit hindi man lang sila kinakabahan? Why am I the only one nervous here?!

"Anyway, good luck. I'll be outside." Drake pointed at the audience's direction before going out.

Bumalik ako sa pagkaka-upo sa sofa at nagsisimula na naman manglamig.

"You should really relax, Ven." This time, si Rain naman ang nagsalita.

"I know so, will everyone just shut up?!" Napipikon kong sigaw na ikinatahimik nilang lahat.

I did my usual breathing exercise to try and calm myself down.

I can do this. I can do this.

When a staff opened the door and said that it's our turn, we all stood up and made our way up the platform. Except Colleen who was cheering us from the side. I smiled at her before getting my guitar.

I faced the audience and they are wild. Almost all the students in our university came to support us. I saw my parents and Hell seated on the front seats. They are all smiling at me and that gave me more encouragement.

"Hello, everyone," I started and it made the crowd scream in anticipation. I smiled at them, "I thank you all for coming today. Ladies and gentlemen, we are the PhantomDeck!"

They all cheered for us and their noise eased the nervousness inside me. I glanced at my bandmates one last time and gave them a nod.

"May the melody we produce together reach the warmth in your hearts."

"One, two, three!"

---Now playing: I Choose You by Alessia Cara---

All of my life
I thought I was right
Looking for something new

I remember when I woke up in the hospital about a month and a half ago. I was having trouble remembering what happened to me. They said I was in a state of coma for about a month.

Of course it shocked me. I've been sleeping for that long and I can't even remember why.

Rain and the others said that on the day of the Battle of the Bands, I left early alone. I got into a car accident and I hit my head hard. It explained why I'm having a hard time remembering stuff.

Stuck in my ways
Like old-fashioned days
But all the roads led me to you

I got hospitalized for weeks. My parents and brother took care of me the entire time. Hell was being extra caring and I teased him all the time because of that. He said he was so scared when he saw me soaked in my own blood.

My little brother is really cute.

My friends often came to visit. They made my life in the hospital less boring. But usually it's very quiet especially when I'm left alone. My mind would fly somewhere. I always overthink and at night, I would always dream about something strange. 

It was not new to me anymore so I got used to it somehow.

The house that you live in don't make it a home
But feeling lonely don't mean you're alone
People in life, they will come and they'll leave
But if I had a choice I know where I would be

Because of me being hospitalized, I skipped a lot of lessons and it was hectic when I got back. Tambak ako sa gawain at ang dami kong hinahabol na deadline. Hindi man lang naawa sa akin ang ibang prof. Palibhasa may galit kaya binabawian ako.

Still, I managed to survive. And then we decided to continue playing together and join this mini competition. My world revolved around my friends, family and playing music. It was really fun. Drake would sometimes come and visit. He also became closed with Colleen and my bandmates. They actually got along really fast that it surprised me. 

Maybe because they all have jolly personality. Well, except Nathan.

Through the lows and the highs, I will stay by your side
There's no need for goodbyes, now I'm seeing the light
When the sky turns to grey and there's nothing to say
At the end of the day...

I looked at the audience and winked at them. Some screamed and some laughed, especially Hellios and Drake who's seated beside each other. Their reaction made me smile so wide.

I strum the guitar while also glancing at my bandmates who are also looking at me, smiling. I flashed them a wide smile too before returning my gaze in front.

I looked down at my guitar and saw my ring shining under the bright sunlight.

A tear escaped my eye, but I still smiled.

I lifted my head as I sang the last line of the song.

"I choose you..."

》》》

How are you all? You okay? Haha:>

This is the final chapter of Emerald Eyes. I will post the epilogue very soon. I love you, guys!