Chapter 31

"Aman, what did your family say to you?" a very concerned Kartik asked, looking down at his chest where Aman's head was lying. "I know they said something because I saw the way you tensed yesterday when I asked you about your family." 

It was Sunday and they have been spending the day snuggled up on the couch. In the morning, Lily  had greeted Aman and told him how much Kartik had missed him. But soon Lily went out with Dhruv so it was just them. 

Aman let out a sigh. He didn't want to upset Kartik but he knew he had to tell him the truth eventually. 

"Kartik, I am sorry I lied to you yesterday. But I didn't know how to tell you this." Aman said, sitting up and gesturing Kartik to sit up as well. 

"What happened, Aman?" Kartik whispered, his voice was weak as he thought of all the possibilities. 

Aman gently took Kartik's hand and started to play with his fingers, "My family brought up a topic that upset me." His eyes never leaving Kartik's hand. 

Kartik's eyes followed every move of Aman while his face remained blank. 

"It was about my marriage." Aman finally looked at Kartik to see how Kartik reacted. 

Much to his surprised, a smile appeared on Kartik's beautiful face. 

"Obviously, we have to get married one day." Kartik said, adding more confusion on Aman's face. 

"Baby, I don't think you are getting it. They want me to get married to a girl." Aman explained, making Kartik giggle. 

"So are you going to ask me to have a sex reassignment surgery? Is that why you are so tensed? Because to answer your question, I know I would make a very sexy girl but I would like to stay as a boy." Kartik stated with a laugh. 

Aman was looking at Kartik with amusement. He thought Kartik would be upset but here he is, joking about it. 

"Kartik, are you seriously joking about it?" Aman asked with a frown. 

"Love, we have discussed this before and you told me that we would fight for our love and I believe you. I believe in us, Aman." Kartik said, pressing a soft kiss on Aman's lips. 

"But what if they hurt you? I won't be able to bear that." Aman's eyes glistening a little with tears. 

"So, let them. I don't mind taking a beating for you." Kartik sweetly said, while a tear slipped through Aman's eyes. 

"But I do, Kartik. I can't see you hurt." Aman desperately said. 

"No one can hurt me as long as you are with me." Kartik smiled, wiping the tear off of Aman's cheek. 

"When did you become so cheesy?" Aman let out a teary laugh. 

"To be honest, we have always been one of those cheesy couples." Kartik said as he pulled Aman on his lap. 

Aman wrapped his legs around Kartik and placed his head on Kartik's chest where he could listen to Kartik's heartbeat. 

Kartik looked at down to see Aman looking so small and adorable like that. They stayed like that for a while before deciding to watch a romcom. 

______________________________________

The next day

Aman was concentrating on work to make up for the leaves he took from work. The constant clatter of the keyboard was the only sound he could hear until a familiar voice broke his focus.