Chapter 35

It was finally the time for Kartik to say goodbye to Lily. She was leaving tomorrow. Everything was set. The bags were packed. 

Lily was looking forward to her new life in New York. But the one thing she wasn't looking forward to was living without Kartik. 

Kartik had barely seen Aman in the past month. All his attention was on Lily and on the fact that she was leaving. 

Aman was a little sad because it's been a hard month for him without Kartik. He tried to comfort Kartik as much as he could but it just wasn't working. 

Lily's flight was at 1:55 in noon and Kartik was hoping somehow it would get delayed so he could have more time with her. Even after spending all his time with her for the past month, he still thought it wasn't enough. And he knew no matter how much more time he spends with her, he would still not be ready to let her go. 

"You won't forget about me, right?" Kartik nervously asked, keeping his eyes on the floor. 

"How can I ever forget my dumb best friend? And I don't think you are a person that can ever be forgotten. I will never forget you. I promise. I love you, Dumbo." Lily smiled but her eyes was gleaming with sadness. 

"I love you too." Kartik smiled. 

Maybe they will be okay. 

______________________________________

This was it. Lily was leaving in exactly 15 minutes. And Kartik was thinking of ever possible way to extent of those 15 minutes. 

They were on the airport and Lily was going to board the plane soon. Kartik was sitting next to Aman, holding his hand like his life depended on it. Aman was gently caressing Kartik's hand with his thumb. 

Lily was talking to her sister so she could tell her she was boarding soon. Kartik was intensely watching Lily's every move. 

Finally, the announcement was made for Lily's flight. She stood up from the the bench as her eyes filled with tears. Kartik started to sob as soon as the the person making the announcement stopped speaking, while Aman squeezed his hand as a sign of comfort. 

Lily dropped down on her knees in front of Kartik as a tear rolled down her cheek and made him look at her. 

"I love you. Tack care of yourself. I will be in touch. I promise." Lily said, her voice cracking a bit in the end. 

"I-I-I lo-love yo-you to-too." Kartik broke down completely. Aman and Lily had never seen Kartik so vulnerable. 

Lily pressed a lingering kiss on Kartik's forehead, wiped his tears and whispered, "Please don't cry. It's already hard enough for me." 

Kartik somehow managed to calm down for Lily. 

All of them stood up. Lily hugged Aman and said, "Take care of him and yourself." 

When Lily hugged Kartik, Kartik had control his emotions so he bit his lip to keep the tears from falling. The hug was filled so many emotions. 

They finally pulled away and Lily started to pick up her bags. Kartik saw Lily walking away, further away and finally disappearing by walking in a door after looking back one last time to give Kartik a smile. 

She was gone. 

Kartik didn't realise he was crying until someone wiped his tears. He looked beside to see Aman smiling sadly at him. 

She was really gone. 

_____________________________________

The whole ride Kartik didn't say anything. He just rested his head on Aman's shoulder. Aman was worried about Kartik and their was no way in hell Aman was going to leave him in this state. 

Kartik was replying to Aman in a word or two. He didn't want to talk. He was so sad that he lost his appetite. He didn't eat all day and declared that he was going to sleep at 8.

"What about dinner?" Aman asked. 

"Not hungry." 

"You haven't eaten all day." 

"Yeah. I am just not hungry." 

Aman sighed. Kartik stood up from the couch and went to his room. Aman took an apple from the fridge and followed him. 

Aman saw that Kartik was already in bed with the same clothes he had worn all day. Aman took a deep breath and went to Kartik's wardrobe. He took out a Goofy T-shirt and pajamas for Kartik and a plain black T-shirt and shorts for himself. 

Aman made Kartik sit up and changed his clothes. Then after he dressed himself, he got in the bed with Kartik and held him tightly. 

"Do you want to talk about it?" Aman asked, playing with Kartik's hair. 

"No. Just want to sleep." Kartik said, pressing his face in Aman's neck. 

"Okay, love." 

________________________________________

It had been five days since Lily left and Kartik has been quieter than ever. Lily called him twice a day, sometimes even thrice in a day, yet Kartik felt like a part of him has been taken away. 

Aman was worried about him because he had stop responding to him. Aman tried to shower him with kisses but Kartik just sat there blankly. He tried to make out with him but Kartik barely kissed him back. Aman tried to cuddle Kartik but Kartik just laid there lifeless in Aman's embrace. 

Aman was hurt because he thought he might be able to get Kartik to smile and laugh even through his tears but he couldn't. He tried to but he couldn't even get Kartik to smile once in five days. 

Aman's insecurities started to creep in, making him think things that were far from truth. It was like a devil in his mind was whispering. 

Maybe you don't mean to him that much. 

Maybe he doesn't want you around him right now. 

Maybe he getting getting annoyed by your constant attempt to make him smile when he wants to grieve. 

Aman was tired of the voice. His self confidence depleting day by day and then he thought maybe Kartik wants to be alone. So he should leave him alone. And he did exactly that the next day. 

"I think I am gonna go home. You need some time alone." Aman whispered sadly. 

"Okay." Kartik blankly replied. 

"Okay, I will be one call away." Aman kissed Kartik's forehead before walking out the door. 

Kartik stared at the door that was just closed by Aman, his eyes filling with unwanted tears which he wiped fiercely when a stray tear slipped from his eye.