Chapter 33

The night before Kartik's birthday 

"Let's sleep, baby. I am exhausted." Aman sighed, looking at Kartik who was swichting through channels trying to find something for him to watch. 

"But it's just 10:30, Aman. And tomorrow, we don't have work." Kartik shrugged, making Aman pout. Kartik's heart fluttered a little seeing him pout. 

"But I am tired." Aman whined, looking at Kartik with puppy eyes making Kartik let out a sigh. 

"Okay." Kartik gave in as he knew he could never resist Aman's puppy eyes and Aman used it to his advantage. 

After midnight (Kartik's birthday) 

It was 2 am. Aman slowly and gently removed Kartik's arm that was spooning him from behind. He carefully got out of their bed, not wanting Kartik to wake up. 

Aman looked at Kartik who was stirring to find the source of warmth that left him. He reached down and started to caress Kartik's forehead, somehow making Kartik relax and fall back into deep slumber again. 

Aman placed a soft kiss on Kartik's forehead before whispering "Happy birthday, baby. Don't miss me too much." 

And he left. 

In the morning 

Kartik woke up, his hand immediately reaching for Aman but much to his dissappointed, he was met with an empty bed. 

A frown settled upon Kartik's beautiful features realising that he was alone which made him a little suspicious because Aman almost never wakes up before him. But as the thought of Aman making his birthday breakfast lingered on his mind, he relaxed a little. 

After brushing his teeth, he walked towards the kitchen to find Lily making breakfast, mostly taking a leave from office because of his birthday. Aman was nowhere in sight which worried Kartik. 

As Kartik settled down on the chair, Lily turned back and grinned. 

"Happy birthday, Dumbo!" Lily hugged Kartik tightly and kissed his forehead. 

"Thank you, Lily." Kartik smiled "Have you seen Aman?" 

"No, I thought he was sleeping." Lily lied so confidently that Kartik didn't doubt her for a second. 

"No. When I woke up, he wasn't in bed. I will call him." 

An unsettling feeling appeared in the pit of Kartik's stomach as he dialed Aman's number. Aman didn't pick up making Kartik's heart ache. 

Where is he? He always picks up my call. Kartik thought. 

He sent a quick text to Aman, hoping he would reply. 

To Boyfriend❤️: Where are you? I am worried. 

He waited for 5 minutes but Aman didn't reply. 

Kartik sadly started to pick on the fabric of his pajamas, his mind completely occupied by Aman when Lily came with two plates of pancakes. 

"Pancakes. My favourite." Kartik smiled sadly as he picked up the fork. 

Kartik looked so sad that Lily almost wanted to call Aman right now and tell him to come back to make Kartik smile again but she knew she couldn't because that would ruin the surprise. 

"Are you okay?" Lily asked, picking up the Hershey's chocolate syrup and spreading it on her and Kartik's pancakes. 

"Yeah.... Aman is not picking up my calls and he isn't replying to my texts either. I am just worried about him."