VIII

"How are you feeling?" Corinna asked us. 

"Like I've been in a car that flipped multiple times and then blew up." Mick chuckled and I let out a small laugh. 

"STOP IT! Both of you stop it!" She yelled at us. 

"Do you not realize how serious this is?" Lewis asked me. 

If looks could kill, Lewis would be dead. "You're asking me, the person who just went through a near-death experience if I know how serious this is?" I hissed. 

"Well the way, you're joking about this, it seems you don't" He yelled. 

"I DO!" I roared. "With my new condition, I could die just like that! So, excuse me if the way I'm handling this is by joking!" Lewis shut up real fast. 

"Stella, you're coming home with me. My family is going to be on vacation, for the two weeks you're there. My wife got your room ready before she left, so it's just how you like it." Nico explained. 

"Sounds good!" I replied. "Mick, where will you go?" I asked. 

"Home. My spinal injury was not severe, so once my factures have healed, I go back to training and start racing in 2020," he explained and I just nodded. 

We talked with our friends and family for a little longer before they were kicked out. I felt more at peace than I ever have in my life. There's something about the uncertainty that is so freeing, it also put things in perspective. 

"How are you doing?" Mick asked me. 

"I'm okay! Maybe a little sad we probably won't ever see each other again." I replied and Mick sighed. 

"Yeah, our paths don't cross that often. It probably wouldn't be the smartest for us to see each other, or maybe unprocessed emotions would come up." He reasoned. 

My mind flashed back to lying on the side of the road with Mick beside me just breathing, trying to stay alive. I probably would've been dead if he hadn't of pushed through the pain and pulled me out of the car. 

"I owe you my life Mick," I whispered. 

"You know I thought the same thing, except I owe you my life. Your heartbeat kept me grounded knowing that we were going to make it through the accident. So, I guess we saved each other." 

"We did." I whispered. 

*5 months later: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix* 

The past months had been some of the hardest and funniest months of my life. After I said goodbye to Mick in the hospital and we parted ways, I went to Monaco with Nico and we stayed there for about two months. After that, we did a lot of traveling. I kept Elio and the other Nico in charge of the Design house while I took a long leave of absence. I went back to the crash site and laid some flowers down, before talking to the news about what happened. To end the year Nico and I decided to go to the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, which the actual race is today. 

"So, you excited?" Nico asked. 

"Of course, first F1 race since the accident!" I exclaimed as we walked through the pit lane observing the different drivers. 

Out of the corner of my eyes, I caught a glimpse of some bright blue eyes in a Ferrari red jacket. I turned around to look at the start of the pitlane and saw Mick Schumacher walking around with Sebastian and Charles. 

"Oh my god!" Nico whispered as he saw what I was seeing. It was the first time I saw Mick since the hospital. 

"MICK!" I exclaimed and began running toward him. "Mick!" I yelled again and this time he turned around with a shocked looked on his face. 

He began running toward me and we met halfway in the middle giving each other a really big hug. A few seconds later we were both laughing and crying as we rocked back and forth in each other's arms. 

"How are you?" I asked when we let go.

"Couldn't be better!" he exclaimed. "How about you?" 

"Besides the nightmares and all that, pretty good. I don't even know how you can drive a car now!" I replied. 

Mick smirked. "Inside my car, there is a picture of you in the hospital, but you had the biggest smile on your face. If I need a boost of confidence I look at your little picture." 

"Oh, Mick," I whispered before wrapping him in another hug. 

"I would like you to meet someone real quick." He stated. Nico shrugged and I ended up going with Mick. 

We got on his scooter with me in the front while he steered. A few people from the media caught us before we disappeared toward a row of yachts that were docked to watch the race. He rode all the way to one of the biggest before leading me up the ramp inside the luxurious interior. 

"That's my yacht right there!" I exclaimed pointing to the one next to his. 

"We can all party!" 

Voices could be heard, but they got quiet as we neared the living room. Mick opened the door to the Schumacher family chatting while lounging on the couches. Mick's mom stood to greet me. 

"I know we weren't introduced, but I'm Corinna and this is Gina. I have something I would like to give you." She said. 

I gave them both a hug before handing me a large white hat box with a removable lid. When I removed the lid to say I was surprised was an understatement. Inside was one of Michael Schumacher's helmets, signed by him. 

"I cannot accept this!" I exclaimed. 

"Yes, you can and you will. It is a thank you from all of us." Mick said. 

I leaned into his shoulder gently and he rested his head on mine while wrapping his arm around my shoulder. We stayed there for about five minutes just standing in silence letting the moment settle around us before we all had to go to wherever we needed to be. Right now, it was just the calm before the storm.