42

"Every month, the Gard holds a culling of its death row inmates." Jia's voice rang throughout the entire courtyard when I was brought to the cage a number of prisoners were locked up in, my appearance matching theirs, "Today, you all have been chosen."

My wrists were cuffed together, my hair in a tight braid, dressed in an orange jumpsuit.

"Charles Freeman." Jia called forth, "Ascend."

"You are guilty of colluding against the Clave with former Consul Malachi Dieudonne, and of killing Clave soldiers." Jia addressed when he stepped onto the higher platform, "Do you have any last words?"

"Long live the Circle." Were his words, making all the Circle members in the cage cheer in agreement.

"Turn and meet your fate." Jia told him, as he did exactly that, before he was burned alive right in front of us, "May the Angel have mercy."

-

"Trevor Hayes." Jia announces his name as he stepped onto the higher platform, "You are guilty of violent assault on 13 mundanes."

"Zee?" I heard a voice, "Is that you?"

I looked back towards the sound, seeing Iris Rouse walking towards me, making me roll my eyes.

"Relax- the cuffs suppress warlock abilities." She softly chuckled when she came to my side, "I couldn't hurt you if I wanted to, not that I would."

"I heard what you did, stopping Valentine's wish." She continued when I didn't reply, "You don't deserve this."

I barely shrug, grimacing as I watched another person be burned alive, "I wish they had a better method- this is barbaric."

"Even the barbarians weren't this cruel." Iris lightly scoffs, "After everything I've done, this is how it ends burned at the stake for not doing magic."

I look at her, "What?"

"The Consul moved up my execution because I refused to perform a spell for her." Iris told me.

"The Clave hires warlocks all the time." I mentioned, "Why ask you?"

"Because necromancy is my specialty." Iris' words made my heart drop, "But even I know no good would come from resurrecting Valentine Morgenstern."

"Jia asked you to resurrect Valentine?" I asked, "Why?"

Iris barely shrugs at me, "She wanted to question him about a demon."

"Lilith." I realize, "She tried to dig him up."

"But- I said I don't care if Lilith is the devil incarnate- anyone is better than that Circle bastard." Iris shook her head, "He took my Madzie away from me- let him rot."

-

"Zee Young." Jia called my name as I brought out of the cage, "Ascend."

"You are guilty of using the Angel Raziel's one wish for personal gain and of knowingly deceiving the Clave on the matter." Jia says when I stepped onto the higher platform, "Do you have any last words?"

I was silent for a moment.

"I know what Iris Rouse refused to do for you." I said, inhaling sharp, "I can do it."

She looks at me, "What are you saying?"

"I've created runes that can open portals, take down wards, and deactivate Mortal Instruments." I tell her, "I can bring Valentine back to life."

-

"We inspected Valentine's body and grave." Jia tells me when we walked into the room where Valentine's body laid, "There's nothing Lilith could want other than the man himself."