Welcome Home

The hardest part of the job in the military was of leaving the ones you loved and cared for the most, especially knowing there was a risked chance that something could happen to you, preventing you to come home.

Your family meant the world to you, and especially your girl, Taylor. A lot of the time Taylor would be touring as she continued to make her lifelong dreams come true of being involved in the music industries while she would release new songs for the world to hear. But the only world that meant so much to her was you and she often hoped that you would one day get the chance to hear one of them in wherever you are stationed. Taylor's birthday was approaching and you were prepared to do the usual Skype call you would do under special circumstance.

When it comes to a Skype call, the call can't be any longer than fifteen minutes so you were prepared to wish Taylor a happy birthday and exchange small talk. It was the day before her birthday and your commander approaches you with a phone in hand, letting you know this was important. At first, you thought went to the idea of Taylor was somehow hurt or something much worse; but when you hear the voice you recognize so well, you let out a sigh of relief, knowing she was okay.

"Y/n, do you think you could get on a private plane tomorrow so we can bring you home for Taylor's birthday?"  Ellen asks.

"I'll see what arrangements I can make with my commander."

"Already done!"

It grew silent for a brief moment as you realize this was a gift for both you and Taylor. You begin to let tears fall lightly as you speak up.

"Of course!"

There was a million ways to thank Ellen for this; but for something such as this, there was no words out of millions to express your appreciation for what is doing for you.

"Great! I look forward to seeing you again, Y/n."

"It's good to hear from you, and I look forward to seeing you as well!! Thank you so much for doing something so special for Taylor and I!"

"It's my way of thanking you of your services for our beautiful country."

After hanging up, you hand the phone back over to your commander with a bright smile, in which he returned.

———

Before allowing the audience to come be let in, Ellen was helping you hide in a disguised piece of furniture as she discussed that jump scaring Taylor would be the best way to surprise her, and you agreed.

Ellen fills you in on Taylor's latest record of  her new album 'Lover' was just released and she was going to discuss it with her as you wait for her signal for the finale. She goes on to say that Taylor would be the first guest to be invited to come out on stage to lounge with her a bit.

Although it was muffled, you could hear the sweet sound of Taylor's voice, something you had missed most about her. Ellen goes on rambling about something and uses an example of action as an excuse to cue your signal it was time. Hearing her fist lightly hitting the top, you immediately pop out and "Boo" Taylor as she falls out of the chair from fright before getting a closer look to see who you are.

You found the scene quite amusing before greeting Taylor. Ellen than sticks a giant bow on the top of your head indicating you were there to celebrate Taylor's birthday.

Once she recovers and gets a good look at you, she realizes it was you and she got the more surprising reaction upon seeing you there just a foot away before she pulls you in for a big hug that she was longing for, that you were both longing for.

It has been six months since you last saw each other in person before leaving to your station.

"Happy birthday, Taylor."

"Welcome home."