Chapter 4

Hermione POV:

'What is wrong with me? I never say the wrong thing or start worrying about what I've said, but this... this BOY comes along and sends me into panic mode.' I thought as I made my way back to my compartment and sat down with an annoyed huff.

"Did you find my toad?" A voice mumbled, dragging me from my embarrassed thoughts.

"No, I'm sorry Neville no one's seen your toad anywhere." I said sympathetically as I saw more tears enter the boys eyes when he sat down opposite me. "I'm sure Trevor will turn up somewhere." I mumbled softly as he nodded slowly looking out the window.

As I did the same I gasped at the beautiful sight in front of me. We had arrived at Hogwarts and I couldn't be anymore excited.

"Come on Neville." I said standing up and walking toward the door. "I don't want to get caught in the crowd by the entrance."

And with that we both left the train to see a gigantic man with a lantern. "FIRS' YEARS THIS WAY!" He yelled as all the first years made there way towards him.

"Hiya Hagrid." A jolly voice said as I turned to see Harry smiling up at the giant and Ron gawking at him quite rudely.

I rolled my eyes at the red haired boy and followed the other students towards some boats that would take us to the entrance of the castle where we would all meet up again.

"Wow." I mumbled as we got to the entrance. "Hogwarts."

Y/N POV:

Once we arrived on the other side of the lake and exited the boats we were led up the stairs and told to wait outside of what I assume is probably the Great Hall. I looked around in awe at the décor and sheer size of the castle. After stopping, I stood near Hermione who noticed me and was looking anywhere but in my direction. I smiled to myself knowing that she was still embarrassed about our last encounter.

A tall witch was waiting for us all to arrive before she began to speak. "Welcome to Hogwarts, my name is Professor McGonagall." she said, "The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory, and spend free time in your house Common Room."

She stopped to look over all the faces gazing up at her. "The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn you and your house points, while any rule breaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup, a great honour. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours. The Sorting Ceremony will take place shortly in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting."

After her introduction speech I was about to turn and try make conversation with Hermione who was still stood beside me, that is until I heard the annoying squeak of a ferret throwing insults to Harry and Ron behind me.

"Draco, do you ever shut up?" I said rolling my eyes.

He turned to me with a teasing smile. The same teasing smile that caused me to lash out on the train.

"If it isn't Y/N, L/N, did you get over your little tantrum on the train?" I glared at him as he laughed along with Crabbe and Goyle.

Before I could retaliate Professor McGonagall reappeared clearing her throat to grab our attention. Draco smirked at me before looking away as I continued to glare in his direction.

"Please form a line and follow me into the Great Hall, quickly now." McGonagall said.

I quickly lined up and followed her, we all started walking into the Great Hall and suddenly I became slightly anxious. As I walked through the Hall I noticed four tables which I guessed showed the four houses before keeping my eyes forward on the teachers sat at the front.

After being introduced to the sorting hat, it was finally time to be sorted. I didn't pay attention to who was being called unless it was Ron, Harry or Hermione who were the ones being sorted.

"L/N Y/N."I heard McGonagall say. I walked up nervously and sat down on the chair at the front as the hat was gently placed on my head.

"Hmm, another L/N, been a while since I've sorted one of your family into a house." The hat said while it was on my head as the rest of the Hall went silent so they could listen to what it had to say.

"Let's see, you have knowledge but it's not your strongest element so not Ravenclaw Your kind and considerate but also extremely ambitious, you're willing to do whatever it takes to get what you want so not Hufflepuff... Hmm, this is difficult, your courage and ambitious nature are your two strongest elements."

The hat went silent for a few minutes before saying.

"BETTER BE SLYTHER! NO, GRYFFINDOR!"

The Gryffindor table cheered and clapped and I saw Ron, Harry and Hermione do the same while wearing ecstatic smiles.

I was about to stand up and go over to greet my new house but the hat stopped me by saying in my head "I realise that by putting you in Gryffindor has given you a choice of what happens in your future, if I had put you in Slytherin, HE would have made the choice for you."

I was shocked and confused at what the hat just said and was about to question it, but all it did was wink at me and change back into a normal hat, leaving me nervous about what could've happened if it didn't change its mind.

(A.N: Oooooo what do you guys think the sorting hat was talking about and how do you think it'll affect Y/N's future. Wow longest chapter so far. Also sorry to those who chose a different house I put it in a generator and Gryffindor was victorious. Let me know any ideas or predictions that you may have. Have a great day/night!)