WAR

The rest of the night Kore sat in front of the outlook fire where Thanatos left her. His revelation about Hades' marriage to Leuce replaying in her mind. She still harbored anger towards the King of the Underworld. His callousness and disregard for the mortals disturbed her. But Thanatos' words muddied her feelings. It was not an excuse for Hades' behavior, but it helped her understand him better. The moon was setting and she knew it was almost time for the small legion to advance and draw Sisyphus' army out. She rose and walked through the sea of sleeping Spartans to her Father. Unsurprisingly he was already up sharpening the blade of his sword. 

He looked up and her and smiled. The looked at each other and without having to speak words, both understood each other's feelings. The day was a zenith for them both. Either they lived or died. If they lived, Kore would still have to face the wrath of the immortals and eventually her Spartan brother's would learn the truth about her. If she died...well she should have asked Hades' what happens when immortals die. In the end all that mattered was that her Father and brothers would live in Elysium. 

A short while later the small legion was ready. Kore's Father was leading it to look convincing that it was the entirety of the Spartan army. She watched as he led the small group over the hill and out of sight. She always hated not being on the front line. Being the tip of the spear in battle. But over the years she had learned some patience. Still, today, a new level of restlessness pumped through her veins. The darkness prodding her to embrace it. She pushed it away and focused on getting the remaining legions into place, hidden behind the tree lines to flank Sisyphus' army. 

She didn't have to wait long before she heard the Spartan battle cry in the distance. She couldn't see but could hear the battle ensuing in the valley ahead. They had to wait until her Father could draw Sisyphus back through the valley enough for them to encircle them. Painful minutes went by. The darkness within her also growing impatient and more demanding to be released. Something felt wrong, it was taking too long. She turned to her second in command, "watch for my signal. I am going to check what's happening." Quickly she swung on her horse and rode through the dense woods. The road would leave her exposed and tip Sisyphus off to their plan, so she and her horse were stuck ducking and picking her way through the dense brush.  

Finally the valley came into view. She stayed hidden in the edge of the tree line. From this distance the mix of soldiers and bodies was confusing. Something was definitely wrong, the Spartans weren't retreating. Then she saw why. Sisyphus had large contraptions of wood and rope that when pulled back could launch large boulders a long distance. She watched as handlers prodded elephants to draw back the wooden arms and load the rocks onto it. In close range the Spartans were safe, but if they retreated they would back into the range of these projectiles which even the strongest of shields could not deflect. They were trapped in close contact. She turned her horse back and galloped along the road. Their plan was off so it made no difference if she was spotted. When she was in range she used her bow to send an arrow with a red cloth tail into the air. The signal for the rest of the army to advance. When she saw their movement in the distance she turned back to her Father's group. 

Her horse galloped as fast as it could. Kore felt the cool air sting her face. Her heart pounding. The darkness beckoning her. When she crested the hill and entered the valley she drew her sword. Soldiers from both sides were intermingled. Her horse's chest crashing through a group of Sisyphus' men, knocking two down and trampling others as she cleaved her way to the front line. When she was close she dismounted and shooed her horse back out of the fighting. 

It was cramped. Swords slicing through the air, men screaming and yelling, the metallic smell of blood staining the ground. Sisyphus' men were well armored but unskilled warriors. Most likely slaves or forced recruits. They wielded their swords clumsily and in all directions trying to create room. The Spartans used their shields and targeted attacks to cut them down. But at the moment, they were outnumbered. For every enemy solider they killed, three more followed him.