Solider!Charles [17]

for: Judy_Taurus

PROMPTS: [17] Look at me.

Your nightmare ended in the moment when French soldiers appeared on the horizon. You and your family hid in the basement, while soliders were defending their land from Germans. Your ears hurt from the sounds of shooting, so you covered them awaiting the end of the battle. Whatever the result be you knew it won't end the whole war. Nobody could guess how long it will take, but after three years you were starting to lose hope for an happy ending. You were young, wanted to leave your small village and see the world. Then, Hitler decided to attack Poland, destroying not only your life, but lifes of millions. So when your father's friend told you all that France won this battle, you didn't celebrate like others. Still, you helped your parents in the restaurant to feed the military men by running between tables, placing plates and bowls full of food, and taking the dirty ones. You should get used to it. That's how your life will look like. Just taking orders as well as standing behind the bar from morning till midnight.

"Go for a break, honey. I think you need it". Your father said, after you came to the kitchen with new dishes to clean. The soliders were loud, acting like a small children during lunch in school. But could you blame them? That's all they had in those dark times. "You sure? I can continue working". You said, but your father shook his head. "No. I'll be fine here and your mother will play those gentlemen some music. Feel free to go. Maybe you meet some nice boy". You let out a breathy laugh. "I don't want a nice boy. I'm not planning to be a widow any time soon". You said with bitter tone, but you listened to him. You took your coat from the rack and went outside, where cold wind blew in your face. You tighten your arms around your body as you walked towards the fountain that was build in the middle of the old town. You sit on the edge of it, taking a look at the stars on the dark sky. They looked so peaceful, not bothered with what was going on here - in the sad world of people. The music played by your mother came to your ears and soon singing of men followed. You closed your eyes, wishing to pretend for a while it was a normal nice evening and there was no war outside. "Excusez moi, mademoiselle?". You heard a soft voice, calling you. You looked in the direction it came from to see a young man, observing you with fascination in his eyes. "Oui? Do you need anything?". You asked, hoping you'll be able to come back to the stars soon. "I was wondering why you sitting here all alone. It's cold". He chuckled, embarassment visible in his features. "Why aren't you inside, monsieur?". You swiftly changed the subject, making him the subject of this conversation. "My comrades have only one wish tonight - to get drunk. It's not kind of my thing, especially during those times". He explained, while scratching his head. You suddenly felt sorry for the young man with dark hair as he seemed to be lonely tonight as well. You moved a bit on the marble to let him sit next to you.

"What's your name?". You asked next, while tilting your head to the side. "Charles". He replied. In the dim light of the street lamps surrounding the fountain you could see the remarkable green of his eyes. After you introduced yourself, you sat in silence, neither of you knowing about what you could talk more about. Then Charles noticed your vision fixiated on the sky above your heads. He looked up himself, but he couldn't find anything worth watching. "Why are you looking at the sky with so much admiration?". You sighned deeply, not sure if you wanted to open before someone who will be gone tomorrow. "It's not about the sky. It's about the stars. When I look at them, I feel like I was free. As if I wasn't stuck in some small village and the world wasn't ending". You finally spoke, still watching the shinning entities.

"Look at me". His whisper came to your ear after some time. You swallowed hard, not sure what to expect from him. You both were looking into each other's eyes, hearing only the loud and drunk singing, coming from your parents' restaurant. "You will have your freedom back. I believe in that. There's whole world out there waiting for your eyes to see it. When the war will end and I'll make it out alive, I promise I come back here and show it to you, chérie". He said, not blinking even once. The gaze of his green eyes was slowly drawing the air from your lungs. "What if you don't come back?". You questioned, trying to be realistic. What were the chances that young man before you will survive, when men were dying all around? Death doesn't differentiate between saints and sinners. "Then you see it for both of us. But I really wish we could do it together". He smiled and leaned to leave a gentle kiss on your cheek. Then, he got up from the fountain, leaving you with your stars. You looked up at them again, but they weren't so bright anymore. They lacked that spark of green from young soldier's eyes.