Chapter 18: Another Wu Xie

Seeing the people from the group disperse, Wu Xie gave Wang Meng a glance: "Give me the models and numbers of all the cameras. Then get the information of all the tour groups that have been here in the past year. "

"A year? That must be a lot."

"Be smart about it. Tour groups to Gutong Jing definitely have a special size and itinerary, so there won't be too many." Wu Xie said.

Li Cu huddled off to the side, wondering if he could move around freely at this time. Wu Xie lit another next cigarette immediately after finishing the last one. At this time, he found Li Cu still hanging around and asked, "What's going on? Didn't you read the file at all? You didn't know anything just now."

"You should know that I don't like studying."

"Do you cherish your life?" Wu Xie asked him, "If it continues like this tomorrow, I won't be so kind to you. Do you think I'm too easy-going or something? On the surface, I asked you to come and help, but you also need to be a little self-conscious. As someone who's part-hostage, you're our food when things get difficult. Can you be a little more conscious, so that we can find an excuse not to eat you when we're starving?"

Li Cu looked at Wu Xie's eyes and felt that this guy didn't seem to be lying. His eyes had a luster that ordinary people didn't have, which was a kind of hidden contempt. This guy must have obviously experienced too many things that ordinary people hadn't, so when it came to Li Cu, he seemed to be looking at another kind of low-grade creature that could be eaten.

"I'll go cram it tonight." Li Cu said. "But what happened to those cameras?"

Wu Xie looked around, and then took a piece of paper out of his pocket and handed it to Li Cu. Li Cu took it and opened it, finding that it was a newspaper. At the top of one of the articles was written: Apple Daily News.

"Do you remember you asked me my purpose before I left?"

Li Cu suddenly realized: "Do you mean to say that those people who destroyed the cameras are like Daodao and may not show up on the photos?"

"Yes." Wu Xie said, "Seeing these destroyed cameras, it's very likely that their images didn't show up."

"But, how is that possible? It goes against the laws of physics." Li Cu said. "The reason why people see things, and the reason why cameras can form images, is because there's something that can reflect light. But it's impossible for something to be reflected in the eye, but not in the camera."

"Actually, it's possible." Wu Xie said, "At that time, I also thought Lan Ting was being nonsensical, but then I thought about it some more. There's actually a possible reason for why Daodao's image wouldn't show up in the camera."

"What is it?" Li Cu still thought it was impossible.

"There was no Daodao in the first place; she didn't exist in reality." Wu Xie explained. "Could it be that there was an accident in Gutong Jing and she didn't come back with the tour group? Daodao wasn't in the team, but Lan Ting had the delusion that she saw her. This kind of thing isn't impossible."

"That's the plot of so many crappy American movies. And wasn't there proof that she committed suicide?"

"I just want to tell you that in this world, nothing is impossible or unexplainable." Wu Xie told Li Cu. "Maybe what you explained has nothing to do with the truth, but having an explanation is much more important than not having one."

Li Cu seemed to understand, and felt that it wasn't worth it to debate with such people, so he had to change the subject: "Aren't you a grave robber? Why are you working as a photographer for a lady writer and still writing stuff?"