Chapter 197: Fox Skull

After saying that, Che Zhong motioned to me, and the two of us went back to the mountain. The environment here seemed very corrosive, and the stone steps were rotten, so we climbed carefully.

The stone steps would crack if the two of us stepped on them at the same time, and after climbing seven or eight steps like this, my back was completely soaked in sweat. I told myself it was better to walk on the mud on the side, but both sides were full of rotten fungi-covered shrubs. It didn't look like an earthly scene at all, and the average person wouldn't be able to do it.

As I approached the top of the covered mountain depression, I could see huge steel bars and iron cables stretching out on both sides. I suddenly realized that I must have seen this kind of scene somewhere before.

Looking up at it from below, the "reinforced steel bar roof" covering the mountain depression was very spectacular. A large number of rust spots made me think that this thing had witnessed too much history. There were a lot of fungi attached to it, but they were different from the species I had seen below. They were glistening white, just like bug cocoons.

I didn't see the shadow of those Longzhi, and when I looked at Che Zhong, he was becoming more and more nervous.

"We have to be more careful when we get to the exit. That's when people let their guard down." He said.

I understood his thoughts, but I found his nervous expression a bit ridiculous.

There were still about thirty winding steps to the top, but we would have to go around two bends and make several ninety-degree z-turns because the elevation suddenly became very steep. It was impossible to see what the situation above was like.

Che Zhong stopped: "This is the best place for an ambush. We have to be more careful."

In our current state, I really had no idea how we were supposed to be extra careful. We might not have bulletproof vests, armor, or flash bombs, but we'd still have to walk up step by step. Che Zhong stuck close to the place where the steps turned, suddenly rolled across, gave a wary glance all around with his home-made cannon, and then waved me over.

After three more turns like this, I was just about to take the fourth turn, when Che Zhong suddenly frowned. The puppy had already run out of his pocket, and all the fur on its body was standing up.

Che Zhong's complexion had darkened, and he made a move to let me pass so he could cover me.

My heart said, fucking bastard, is this how my grandfather entrusted you to take care of me? Was the previous cautious performance all a show?

I pulled out my Kukri, gripped it in my hand, got into a defensive stance, and then slowly leaned out of the ninety-degree turn before slashing my Kukri twice. I was stunned to see a woman sitting about six or seven steps in front of me.

The woman was wearing very strange clothes, and had a kind of very old printed cloth jacket. The red had darkened, and the sky blue jacket was full of stains and covered in fungi. Her head was lowered, so I couldn't see her face clearly.

My legs were a little shaky. I wouldn't have been so creeped out if what I had seen was the group of foxes—where did this woman come from, and why was she sitting on the steps here without saying a word? This place was clearly haunted.

Che Zhong looked at me for a long time and found that I wasn't signaling him, or making any movements. He slowly got close to me, and gasped when he saw the woman.

"What is it?" He asked me softly.

I whispered, "Aren't you supposed to be so amazing? Why are you asking me?"