Chapter 40: Unique Number

Li Cu came out of the desert, but his body hadn't fully recovered, and he was still receiving treatment. It was on the third day when he woke up in Beijing Medical University's first hospital that his mind was completely clear and he remembered everything for the first time.

The wound on his back had miraculously succeeded in scabbing over, and the slight itching made him uncomfortable. This caused all the details to start resurfacing in his mind. He remembered the cell phone and Black Glasses, who told him to live after giving him the food and water. He also remembered that he needed to make a phone call to tell the people on the other side what had happened.

Li Cu didn't dare say that he really remembered everything after he experienced such extreme sun exposure and spent all his energy on walking. He tried to recall the details countless times, but that harsh day was like poison in his mind, automatically blocking his memory when he thought of the desert.

Even when he thought of it now, he didn't immediately call the number. It suddenly occurred to him that he had made it out of the desert, and if he didn't recall anything, then it would all pass.

Only the scar on his back was a constant reminder of what had happened, and Wu Xie had said that it was the reason why he was taken to the desert in the first place.

If he made that call and the people on the other side decided to go to the desert to save Wu Xie and Black Glasses, would they also come for him?

If the scar on his back was really as important as Wu Xie thought, then the person on the other side would certainly come to see him, and it would happen all over again.

No, he couldn't go through that again.

Lying in bed, all his muscles were numb. The texture of the cotton quilt, the smell and appropriate temperature of the air conditioner blowing on him, and the sounds of people all around him made him suddenly realize the beauty of "civilization".

He just couldn't make the call.

Li Cu still had a fear in his heart: it had been so long since he left the desert. If Black Glasses and Wu Xie died as a result, would that other party be angry at his "delay"?

He snuck home, and found that everything he had brought back from the desert was in his own room. Even his bag hadn't been opened, and it was obvious his father didn't realize what his son had gone through.

He opened the bag and found the cell phone inside. It was dead, so he went to the phone store around the corner and equipped it with a battery. Finally, the phone was turned on, and just as Black Glasses had said, there was only one number in the contacts.

He copied it down, found a pay phone, and then called. No one answered.

The call definitely went through, but no one answered it. Would the other party only pick up if it was the familiar number from this cell-phone?

Thinking of Wu Xie's identity, Li Cu thought it was also possible.

He squatted on the side of the road and thought for a long time. For a moment, he thought that he should just leave it alone. As long as he didn't make the call, everything would surely pass. Nobody knew about Black Glasses anyways, so no one would blame him.

But he still felt uncomfortable. Although it was only a momentary thought, he knew that he would never feel at ease if he didn't make the call.

He snorted, telling himself that he would hide for a while after the exchange. He used to be in the light and Wu Xie in the dark, so he hadn't been on guard before. But now that he was in the dark, he would play it by ear. If he couldn't, then he and his dad would live in the police station. He didn't believe this group of grave robbers was that powerful.

In this way, he dialed the only number in the cell phone, his hair standing on end when the screen showed that he was dialing out.

The phone rang at least thirty times, but still no one answered. Li Cu didn't hang up and stared straight at the screen until the phone automatically hung up, and the screen blacked out.

Li Cu breathed a sigh of relief: Alright, the other party is unreliable and didn't answer the phone. It has nothing to do with me. He paused and squatted on the side of the road for another period of time. He was still uneasy, so he made another call, but still no one answered.

Only then did he feel completely at ease, thinking to himself: being your hostage and being threatened by you... you said you'd kill me if you made it out of the desert, but I put aside my past grudges and made two phone calls. How much risk am I taking by making these calls? Now that you haven't answered, I'm done being nice. If there's any problem in the future, naturally, it won't have anything to do with me.

Thinking this, he sat on the ground and felt relieved and completely liberated.

Before his ass could warm the cold ground, however, the cell phone suddenly vibrated and he almost threw it away. Looking down, he saw that the phone was ringing and that number was calling back.

Li Cu trembled as he picked up the phone, pressed the call button on reflex, and put it by his ear. After a while, he heard a voice from the other side say: "Who is it? Who called me just now?"

"Well...I'm a messenger." Li Cu said incoherently. "Someone asked me to give you a message." He thought that after hearing this, the other party would reply to him and say "talk" or "wait a minute, I'll find a quiet place" in a very low, solemn voice, but the other party said indifferently: "I'm a little busy now, can you call me back in thirty minutes?"

Li Cu paused for a moment and thought, you're even giving me orders now, before he said, "But this message is very important."

"My business is also quite important. If he's really in such a hurry, why not come to me instead of asking you to call and give me a message?" The other party continued, "I'll talk to you in thirty minutes. It's okay if you don't call." At this point, the man hung up.

Li Cu looked at the phone and thought, Black Glasses, ah, Black Glasses. Didn't you make an agreement with them to save you? This bastard is too unreliable, so what should I do?

He suddenly wondered if he had been tricked again, but it was unlikely. Black Glasses wouldn't travel all the way to the desert just to mess with him like this. But if he wasn't being tricked, why did the other party have this attitude?

He sat on the side of the road with these confusing thoughts and stared blankly for more than thirty minutes before picking up the phone again. He said to himself, this is the last time. If you don't answer this time, or hang up on me, then it's your fault, Black Glasses, for having a bad character. It's none of my business.

The number was dialed, but it was answered very quickly this time. Li Cu said, "I'm the one who called before and said I need to give you a message."

The voice on the other end wasn't the same as before. Now, it was a woman who answered the phone, and she said, "You don't need to say it. This number appearing told them everything, so they're already on their way. Thank you very much. You can keep this number, it won't get through again. Goodbye." With that said, the phone was hung up again.

Li Cu was stunned, but he understood it this time. It appeared that the other party knew what he wanted to say as soon as he received the call. Li Cu was suddenly a little disappointed. So it was over? They didn't want to show him their thanks, or want to kidnap and threaten him again? They didn't even ask what happened, so could they really find Black Glasses that way?

At the same time, he also breathed a sigh of relief. The weight in his heart had finally been lifted, and he sighed with emotion: I've finally changed back into an ordinary person. I finally have nothing to do with the desert or those crazy people.

After surviving through so much, Li Cu felt for the first time that fate was really strange. But he felt like things were moving too fast, as if they shouldn't end like this. At this time, however, he didn't know where to check even with such a premonition.