Chapter 116: My Love for You is Deep in My Bones [1]

Xiao Hua later sent him a document containing some real, but trivial information about Black Glasses. Wu Xie again felt this person's divinity slowly disappearing as he read it. For Xiao Hua, there was a missing and unpredictable time in his life that would always make him seem mysterious in front of outsiders. But for Xiao Hua himself, this kind of mystery was hard to explain, which allowed him to retain his divinity.

When it came to Black Glasses, however, his divinity seemed to be collapsing as he went from some completely unknown person to someone Wu Xie knew everything about. Understanding and approaching a person would take away their charm.

At least, that was what Wu Xie thought. He was kind of enjoying the process until he found something hidden in the document.

In college, a girl had asked Wu Xie a question: "Why don't you celebrate your birthday?"

He didn't want to celebrate his birthday, because he felt that his life didn't need a scale. Birthdays were like a notification system, telling him that even if he didn't do anything, time wouldn't stop. At that time, he answered, "Why do you want to celebrate your birthday?"

"Because you only have one birthday a year!" The girl thought it was a little funny.

Wu Xie replied, "Every day of the year is unique."

The philosophical nature of this sentence surprised him at that time, and he felt as if this sentence wasn't uttered by him, but another person speaking through his mouth. Although this sentence gave Wu Xie the nickname of "Zhuangbi [2] Xie", and made him a weirdo among the girls, he still felt that it was a neglected truth in the world.

Whether it was time or people, a single individual had their own particularity, and wouldn't lose anything simply because they were understood. Just like any ordinary day or second in a year, it was unique and irreplaceable.

Existing was already amazing enough, so other than that, everything else was insignificant trash.

Wu Xie didn't finish reading the information on Black Glasses. He had come to a conclusion that this person was very simple; so simple in fact, that people didn't even realize it.

While riding the pony, Wu Xie unconsciously remembered a lot of things. He was all too familiar with the snowy mountains around him, and although he hadn't walked much on this route, he was still very impressed each time.

The bell around the pony's neck shook violently every time it went up a steep slope, pulling him back from his confusing thoughts.

Every time he looked up and saw the snowy mountains in the distant sky getting closer and closer, however, those chaotic thoughts would be forcibly pulled away.

There was nothing to say the entire way, and when he entered Motuo, he felt that he had completely forgotten everything outside of the mountain.

By the time he warmed up at the last pass, and drank some butter tea, the three day time limit was up. He still hadn't received any further information from Beijing or the sand sea, but he knew that it was impossible for everything to go so smoothly. The obstacles and counterattacks must have started by now.

He had to live. From this moment on, all the dangers would be heading right for him.

It must have been an extraordinarily difficult siege, but he couldn't fight this battle in the city because there were too many interferences. He only had a pair of eyes and ears to rely on, which was very unfavorable in such a battle.

He didn't know how long he could last until the battle was over, but he didn't want to be slapped on the shoulder in some random Pizza Hut and never wake up again. Motuo was the only place he had the confidence to call home.

The moment he entered Motuo, he was already on the battlefield. Theoretically, if the other party had the fastest reaction speed, then the moment he arrived in Motuo would be their best chance of intercepting him.

Or they were even faster than he expected.

Wu Xie thought back to the Grand Cherokee motorcade from earlier. In fact, any car that had passed them on the road could be his enemy.

He had hid behind the tinted windows, but he couldn't escape after getting out of the car...

He thought of Uncle Three's message again. After understanding all of his intentions, Wu Xie felt a shock upon realizing the meaning of that last sentence.

He finally understood the reasoning behind everything Uncle Three had done. It was like some sort of myriad block of dominoes or materials that Uncle Three had prepared. And all these materials were distributed in unexpected places, waiting to play a role.

In those days, it was very similar to the idea of working under the radar. He didn't know who would be the key to the whole plan in the end, but he didn't care. He simply buried the raw materials everywhere without any logic, just like setting up the first thirty hands on the five-piece go board. It was messy and seemingly had no purpose, but opportunities always arise when things are so chaotic that your opponents become overwhelmed.

Wu Xie's senseless moves in Motuo were abundantly clear in his heart, and he was the only one here who felt like he might still have a chance of surviving.

He returned to the lama temple at midnight, and went straight back to his room. The lamas had prepared snacks for him, but instead of eating, he climbed up the beam and grabbed the wine he had left there before.

He climbed down, took a sip, hid it in his arms, and went out, heading towards the snowy mountain.

He didn't carry anything— no professional equipment or even any warm clothes— as he went straight to the snowy mountain. For two days, he had only this bottle of wine to live on.

As he walked in the snow, he had a creeping sensation that someone was around, watching him.

But there was nothing around, and the whistle of the wind was all that could be heard at the edge of the cliff.

Wu Xie wondered for a moment if he had deified the other party's abilities. Even if they could manipulate very small details, they might not be able to follow along perfectly in such a savage battle of wits.

At this moment, maybe they had been dragged down several avenues, or maybe they still didn't know that he had already arrived in Motuo. Maybe even now they were blocked by a mudslide on the Sichuan-Tibetan border.

As he was thinking all of this, there was suddenly movement behind him. In an instant, his mouth was covered from behind, a dagger slit his throat, and the hot blood rushed out.

He was pushed to the ground and saw that there was only one person behind him, a man wearing a white down jacket. He hadn't seen him, where did he come from?

I set up such a big plan. Did the other party underestimate me, and only send one person to kill me?

Wu Xie's slit throat kept gushing blood, as the young man who did it looked at him coldly, face completely expressionless.

He wanted to confirm his death.

Wu Xie clutched his neck, climbed back a few steps, stood up with all his strength, and then flipped over the cliff.

****************************************

Notes:

[1] "Like a Red Bean in the Exquisite Dice, My Love for You is Deep In My Bones" is a a line from the poem by Wen Tingyun back in the Tang Dynasty. Characters are 玲珑骰子安红豆,入骨相思知不知 and are basically a fancy way of saying "I miss you so much".

[2] Pretentious prick.