Chapter 19: Sand Dune Phantom

Li Cu was lying in a tent made of space fabric, hardly feeling the cold from outside after he had zipped the door closed.

The soldiers participating in the operation all stayed in big tents, while the members of the investigation team obviously lived in a more elegant style, with two people per tent. This helped maintain a little privacy and also enabled people to have a better rest.

Li Cu shared a tent with Wang Meng. After they entered, the both of them sat on their sleeping bags and stared at each other, not knowing what to say. Li Cu told himself that Wang Meng had attacked Liang Wan before and then been beaten down by her. Although he was also present at the time, the feud should be between Wang Meng and Liang Wan, so Wang Meng shouldn't seek revenge here. Moreover, Wang Meng's character was also very strange. On the surface, there was really nothing wrong with him, but he also revealed an extremely abnormal atmosphere.

It was a kind of unspeakable feeling. Although Li Cu could tell after spending some time with him that Wang Meng wasn't stupid at all and his efficiency wasn't low either, Li Cu always felt that Wang Meng was half a beat slower than normal people.

When Wang Meng saw Li Cu looking at him, he didn't react at all, just stared straight back with an expression that made Li Cu speechless. Li Cu really wanted to kick him.

He doesn't make any extra movements, Li Cu suddenly realized.

No matter how well trained a person was, they would always make some casual and habitual little movements while in a resting state. These little movements would sometimes morph into big movements, making the person look extremely restless.

However, Wang Meng wasn't like that. When he had nothing to do, he hardly moved, which gave people a very dull feeling.

"You..." Li Cu wanted to know why this person was like this, so he tried to find a topic to talk with him about.

"I'm just a part-time worker making a living. Don't take offense." Wang Meng said.

Li Cu knew that Wang Meng was referring to his attack from before, so he smiled and said: "It's ok, you were just doing your job. You didn't..."

Before he had finished speaking, Wang Meng turned around, switched off the light on his side, and then went to lie down in his sleeping bag.

"...have a choice." Li Cu said helplessly while laughing to himself: Weirdos, you're all weirdos, all fucking weirdos.

"If you worked as a salesperson in a shop where the boss was never around and there was only one person from opening to closing, and sometimes no one would step in for a year, you would learn to turn off your power and become a weirdo when there was no business. That way you can spend the long days without wanting to cut yourself." Wang Meng said in his sleeping bag.

"What kind of shop did you work in?"

"It's been more than ten years. During the worst times, I sat behind the counter and didn't even want to play minesweeper on the computer. I just sat there and then fell asleep. When I woke up, I found it was already noon the next day. So I kept doing the same thing over and over."

"Wow, wouldn't you sprout, or one day find that your feet had taken root?"

"I had a dream like that." Wang Meng said.

Li Cu immediately wanted to laugh, but he desperately held it back. After he had calmed down, he continued to ask, "What happened next?"

Wang Meng didn't answer him anymore, and a few minutes later, there were a few snores coming from his side of the tent.