Chapter 193: Murder

Che Zhong took out several PVC pipes from the bag, poured the gunpowder in one, filled it with some of the nearby iron shavings, pressed it firmly, plugged the lead wire in, and then threw it to me.

This was a small home-made cannon that wasn't accurate, but was extremely powerful at close range. It took more than ten minutes to reload each time, so it could basically only be used once.

Che Zhong made six of them, three of which were given to me. I asked him why he didn't run, since it seemed like there was no chance of winning, and there was no need to fight these snakes.

Che Zhong said, "These snakes are nothing to be afraid of. We're going to ambush something else."

As he said this, he greeted Longtao and said to him, "Little brother, I need your help."

Longtao had been deploying explosives, but they were small-power detonators, so I figured there wouldn't be too many things that would be blown down. That, coupled with the tension, caused him to be completely soaked in cold sweat. If it wasn't for his limited experience in this business, and his sense of responsibility, I was afraid he would run away.

When he heard Che Zhong call him over, he was relieved to leave the job at hand, and immediately ran up to him and asked, "What?"

"I need to do some positioning." Che Zhong said, grabbing his neck and squeezing the blood vessels. Longtao's legs kicked wildly, and he soon passed out. Che Zhong then tied Longtao up tightly, and then lit a fire and burned his hair.

I was really surprised when I realized that he was disguising Longtao as me, and I couldn't help but wonder why. He then tore off my clothes, put them on Longtao, and placed Longtao off to the side of the operating platform. He then pulled me to the corner of an iron frame above, lit a cigarette for me, and told me lie in wait.

He continued to climb up to an iron frame higher than mine, aimed the home-made cannon at Longtao, and hid himself.

It was only then that I fully understood what he had meant. He really wanted to ambush something, but it definitely wasn't a snake.

I was baffled, and looked at the coal pit below. The firelight was very weak from this height, which made me feel like there was an orange light floating up. I couldn't see whatever was going on in the mine with this dim light, but the angle was actually very good. The fire below had apparently burned to the lowest steel beam, and the sound of softening steel was pumped into the bottom of the mine. The carbon dioxide was making a variety of strange suction sounds under the various kinds of convection, and although it wasn't loud, I still couldn't hear any strange movements.

After waiting for a while, I found that nothing had happened. I turned to look at Che Zhong, only to find that his eyes were focused on a corner of the operating platform below.

I looked at the corner, and saw a person standing there, but I didn't know when they had appeared.

I was sure that it had been absolutely empty when we were setting up the ambush just a moment ago. Right when I thought I was watching carefully, someone snuck into this place and hid in that corner. I didn't realize it at all.

Longtao was tied up and lying there motionless, and the man was six or seven meters away from him, also motionless. He was obviously very cautious, and must have foreseen an ambush here.

I was calm and quite confident in my patience as I waited for my cigarette to burn out. It was in that moment that the person started to move, and I saw a severely burned person coming out of the hiding spot. He didn't immediately go to Longtao, but stood there trembling.

It turned out to be Bao Sa.

I saw him grow taller, and his body slowly went from strong and stocky to slender. Finally, he tore off the fake skin on his face, and revealed a young face.

I looked back at Che Zhong, who pointed to the home-made cannon in my hand as if to tell me to fire when Bao Sa was in range.

I turned to look at the young man, and then at the cannon in my hand, and asked myself, fire? Won't he die if I open fire?

I had no grievances or enmities with others. Although I had a lot of opinions about these people, I really couldn't do something like shoot them to death as soon as we met.

I shook my head and made a gesture to Che Zhong, but immediately found that he wasn't in his original spot.

His overall position wasn't as good as mine, so did he move to find a better position to do the deed himself?

Regardless, I couldn't accept this kind of deadly sneak attack. It wasn't my soft-heartedness, but more the fact that I felt like such a burden and troublemaker during all my adventures, and the only reason I survived was because both the enemy and my own people spared me a lot. Whether by luck or something else, God didn't create me to take others' lives.

I quickly got up, and turned to look for Che Zhong, only to find that Bao Sa was gone.

I cursed, knowing it was going to be bad. I turned around and was just about to stand up to give myself room to run, when I almost bumped into someone's nose.

I cried out, and almost slipped. I didn't know when he had gotten there, but Bao Sa was standing right behind me. He grabbed my home-made cannon and said, "This little trick was too poorly executed. What else can you do?"

"I was tricked." I immediately said, "How would I know he wanted me to squat here and kill someone?"

Before I had finished speaking, I was grabbed by the shirt collar and dragged directly to the platform. Bao Sa shouted to the surroundings, "Where are you hiding, Che? Can you do anything else besides play hide and seek?"

As the echoes reverberated with the sound of the coal mine drawing out air, he kicked my home-made cannon, and continued: "You may be able to kill me with this thing from three meters away, but do you have the courage to get within three meters of me?"

There was no reply. Bao Sa snorted coldly, and pushed me directly to Longtao's side before shouting: "I'm with Wu Xie. If you want to shoot me, you'll have to shoot the both of us. Come on, I don't think you can do it."

The words had just fallen when Longtao beside me suddenly looked up, and stretched a home-made cannon out from beneath his armpit. With a flick of a lighter, the cannon immediately fired.

Bao Sa was only less than three meters away from Longtao, so all the iron shavings hit him in the chest, and he was blown back about two or three meters.

Longtao stood up, and I found that he was actually Che Zhong. His clothes had been hastily put on, and his hair had just been burnt, but I was in such a panic just now that I didn't notice it at all.

Did Che Zhong run down and replace Longtao when Bao Sa found and attacked me just now?

Fuck, this couldn't have been a spur of the moment idea. Was it Che Zhong's final plan?

He looked at me, and pointed to the corner where Bao Sa had originally been hiding, and I saw that Longtao had been dragged over there. Che Zhong then threw away the cannon, replaced it with another one, and went up to Bao Sa's side. "Three meters, that's right," he said.

Bao Sa was vomiting blood, his entire upper body had become a shattered mess, and he still wasn't dead yet, but the light in his eyes was fading. Che Zhong whistled, and the dog rushed out, barked at Bao Sa a few times, and then threw itself on his neck. "I'll give you a good time." Che Zhong said.

Just as he finished speaking, however, the first snake head finally poked itself up from the lower edge of the platform. Che Zhong looked up, lit the second home-made cannon, smashed the snake's head, and then said to me, "Let's go!"