Chapter 41: Legend that No One Cares About

A week later, Li Cu was discharged from the hospital and returned to school to continue his classes. When he stepped through the school gate, he thought: in this world, even if I took part in something these teachers would never experience their whole lives, I still can't escape from the palms of their hands at this age.

He followed the stream of people entering the school gate. All kinds of students were in the same school uniforms as before, but Li Cu started to feel different from them as he walked among them.

Lame! Li Cu looked at those people and said to himself: I was kidnapped and experienced extreme adventures in the desert. Now, I've joined the school uniform party again. Fuck! It's a pity I can't say anything about that experience; otherwise, I would be the most awesome person in this school.

Passing by the teaching building, he looked at his shadow in the glass of the front door and felt that he had really gone through some life changes. Sure enough, he was different from these ordinary students. A small sense of superiority rose in his heart, but it immediately disappeared when he took his seat.

He saw that his seat was full of debris, and his desk was full of garbage, including a moldy banana peel, paper balls, and a lot of strange toilet paper.

After he cleaned up all the trash, he suddenly realized that no one in the class noticed him coming back. The students were gathered in twos and threes to chat as if he didn't exist at all.

Damn, shouldn't they immediately surround me to ask what happened? In this way, he could shake his head very mournfully and pretend to tell them "I can't say" in order to wet their appetites. Maybe some girls would go with him when he returned home after class and ask him: "Won't you secretly tell me?" Then he could tell the story on the side of the road, or on the playground while facing the sunset like an errant knight. Then, then he can...

No, not to mention any girls, even a group of his former friends didn't notice his return. Did he have to report to them himself?

Li Cu was unwilling to go that far, so he decided it was better to be reserved. He silently sat in his chair, looking out the window and waiting for the others to discover him. He expected to hear someone exclaim, "Hey! You were released from the hospital!"

The four morning classes passed, and no one came up to him, as if even the teacher hadn't noticed him. It wasn't until lunch that Su Wan, who had been sitting in front of him, turned around. Everyone else in the classroom was gone, and Su Wan looked at him calmly while he stared back. The two of them looked at each other and didn't speak.

It was only then that Li Cu realized that something was wrong. It wasn't that the others didn't notice him, but that they didn't want to talk to him at all.

"What?" Li Cu finally asked, after the two of them had stared at each other for a long time.

"Pay back the money." Su Wan answered.

It was in that moment that Li Cu remembered that he had borrowed money from Su Wan. Touching his empty pockets, he knew the money was long gone. He looked at Su Wan and thought about how to explain it, but after thinking it over, he became angry: Bastard, I've experienced so many terrible things. As my best friend, how can you ask me to pay back the money as soon as you see me? Even if you really want me to repay you, you should at least greet me first!

"I'll give it back to you tomorrow!" Li Cu said, irritated.

Su Wan continued to look at him. After a long time, he asked again, "Are you better? You're not contagious, right?"

Li Cu looked at him: "What are you talking about? Disease? Infection?" Wasn't I robbed and injured? How did I become sick? Or contagious for that matter?

Su Wan said, "The teacher in charge said you have lung disease and it's contagious, so you had to suspend your studies for a few weeks."

"What the fuck?! I was injured, not sick!" Li Cu almost jumped up when he finally understood why no one had paid any attention to him. No one knew the legendary story of his kidnapping and rescue, only thinking that he had an infectious disease.

There weren't many people in the class now as Li Cu kicked several tables and chairs to vent his anger, and then turned to look at Su Wan.

Su Wan was holding a lunch box and asked him, "Is it really not an infectious disease?"

"Ask again and we're no longer friends." Li Cu pointed at him and, after thinking, lifted his t-shirt to show him his back. When he turned around again, Su Wan was looking at him with his mouth wide open, obviously shocked by the scar on his back.

"What happened?"

"It's a long story." Li Cu replied, "Let's go to the playground for lunch. I'll tell you more."