Chapter 80: Trapped

It wasn't easy to light a fire with the combustible things they had taken from the trucks. The small burning pile was much shabbier than Liang Wan's fire from before.

Li Cu found it a bit odd. What was Liang Wan burning? There wasn't any hay here, so was she using sand as kindling?

Yang Hao covered his cheek, put his dry food on an iron bar, and then stuck it into the fire to bake while mumbling, "Pear saves you and you give him a kiss, I save you and get a slap to the face. What poor vision."

Liang Wan gave him a cold look, and Yang Hao moved to the side, turning his head in protest.

Liang Wan sighed, turned to the other side, and saw Li Cu looking at her. Li Cu blushed for a moment when their eyes met, but he wasn't timid and asked, "Are you alright? Brother Yang didn't mean it."

Liang Wan lit a cigarette and started smoking without saying a word. She wanted to ask what was going on, but she probably knew the gist of it, so instead she asked, "What are those things? Why can't they come in here?"

Li Cu gave a brief explanation, but Liang Wan still didn't understand.

She lacked knowledge in this area and didn't want to think about it anymore. She just wanted to go back to Beijing. She wasn't afraid of danger— even if it put her life in peril— but she was more afraid of this kind of thing.

The outside noises had all disappeared, and Su Wan's saxophone had been sealed in Li Cu's bag. He would have used it as firewood, but Su Wan was ready to fight him to the death over it.

After settling down, the effects of so much exercise finally started to flare up in their bodies, and made them feel a little weak all over. Li Cu and the others often played soccer, so although they had a hard time staying focused now that they were relaxed, their bodies recovered quickly. Liang Wan, however, had completely collapsed. Li Cu and the others got her settled and gave her some water, but there was no better way to restore her mood. They even had to cook their dry food over the bonfire.

As the four of them ate in relative silence, Li Cu felt that Su Wan and the others weren't afraid of the surrounding environment. They hadn't really faced death, after all, but merely felt embarrassed.

Normally when such dramatic events have taken place, you have to talk about it, and Li Cu wasn't the type to stand down and let it go. But Liang Wan had been greatly frightened, so it was obviously inhumane to discuss it.

He also dared not talk about those vines outside, afraid of Liang Wan becoming even more frightened, so there really wasn't anything to talk about. Su Wan nibbled on the hardtack and asked, "Pear, have you finished your homework yet? We'll have mock exams at the beginning of the semester, and the homework will be graded."

Li Cu shook his head, how can I think of homework now, and then said: "It's up to you. Just leave me two days to copy."

Su Wan said, "You even copy the same mistakes every time. It gets me in trouble too."

Yang Hao's slap made a "pia" sound as he said, "This is so damned annoying. We didn't come here to talk about this. Why don't we discuss what to do tomorrow? We're lost in the desert and can't afford to get even more lost. So, what should we do?"

Li Cu shook his head. He didn't know what to do. They were already stranded on an isolated island in the sand sea, so even if no one died, it would still be difficult to get out of this area.

They could always come up with a solution, of course, but he really didn't have the energy to think about it now.

Yang Hao was very upset and lay down on the sand, swearing and smoking up a storm, but there wasn't anything Li Cu could do. He looked over at the nearby haizi, which was still dry. He wasn't worried about finding his own way out right now.