Chapter 22: Two Theories and Three Possibilities

The others were noncommittal about Li Cu's notion that "there's something very dangerous inside", because for them, the sudden appearance of this thing was just an interlude. If they hadn't rested at this haizi, then the equipment wouldn't have been thrown into the water and this wouldn't have happened. For those people who apparently relied on these items to conduct their inspection, the most important thing at present was to see if the equipment could still be used. This would determine whether the inspection would continue or not, which in turn represented a lot of things: money, honor, and opportunities for promotion.

As a result, only Wu Xie agreed with Li Cu's idea. After the others dispersed, some of them started a fire beside the haizi and continued to discuss this strange matter.

Wu Xie was the first to speak: "Last night, this equipment must have been deliberately thrown to the bottom of the haizi, and there are only two possible reasons for doing so: The first is to keep us from moving forward and to stop the expedition here; the other is to induce us to find this thing under the water."

"Based on common sense, the first one is more likely, but if you think about it carefully, there are very subtle contradictions. First, how did the perpetrators know that these instruments couldn't be used when thrown into water? Generally, more advanced detection instruments are waterproof, dustproof, and shockproof, but most of the ones that were thrown into the water weren't waterproof. This shows that the perpetrator is very familiar with the various instruments here." Wu Xie blew out a mouthful of smoke, looked at the endless sand dunes in the distance, and continued, "If this theory is correct, then the perpetrator may be in our team. It's probably one or more of the archaeology students, because we're unlikely to be so familiar with those uncommon instruments."

"And then? Where's the contradiction?" Li Cu asked Wu Xie.

"Second, the contradiction lies in the fact that no one is sure whether these instruments will be completely damaged by simply entering the water, or whether they're completely beyond repair. Assuming that these things are like cell-phones and can be used immediately after falling into the water and drying out in the sun, wouldn't the perpetrator's efforts be wasted? Moreover, we'll certainly be more careful after this incident, and the perpetrator will have little chance to attack next time." Wu Xie said. "Do you understand? Unless this was an impulsive crime, whoever wants this team to stop going to Gutong Jing should have smashed or burned all of these instruments and destroyed them completely instead of just throwing them into the lake."

Li Cu understood what Wu Xie meant, and if that were the case, then the first theory was basically untenable. It was also possible that it was the second one—someone hoped that they would find something under this haizi. Based on his notion, this kind of sealed container couldn't appear here alone, and since it was a storage device, the key was the contents inside. In other words, since this kind of container was only used in the process of transporting or storing "something", then why do all this? Why would anyone want them to find this container?

There were several possibilities for why this thing appeared in this desert: the first was that the container was dropped from a transport convoy passing by. But this was a desert and there was no road, and generally speaking, the only reliable transportation was camels. That is to say, if there was a transport convoy passing through here, then it must not have been an ordinary truck, but a special armored vehicle on the sand. So, where were these things going to in this desert?

The second was that a truck or armored vehicle carrying this kind of thing got lost in the desert, and was trapped nearby. After years of erosion by the sand and wind, the goods on the truck collapsed. This possibility made Li Cu hesitate, because the object was found in the water. Unless the truck or armored vehicle drove straight into the haizi here, it couldn't be in the water. The oasis and haizi here could be seen from several kilometers away, so what idiot driver would make such a mistake? Even if that was the case, this kind of container wouldn't be the only one found; other containers would surely be all over the bottom of the haizi, unless this haizi moved here later.

The third possibility was similar to the second one: this place was an old storage area. If this haizi had moved here, then it may have moved to the ruins of a warehouse, and that was why a container left behind was submerged in the water.

The temperature in the desert was getting hotter and hotter. Li Cu thought about these three possibilities and said to Wu Xie, "I think we'll know more if we search the bottom of the haizi again."

Wu Xie nodded and asked him, "What do you want to find underwater?"

"See if there's any wreckage of transportation vehicles, or if there are any ruins of building."

"That's what I was thinking, but your injury isn't healed yet, so you shouldn't get it too wet. Let the two of them go tonight. We have to avoid people's eyes and ears during the day." Wu Xie said.

"Boss, it's very dark here at night. There shouldn't be any strange fish in the water like you used to tell me about..." Wang Meng was a little apprehensive.

"This place isn't that big, there won't be any big fish." Wu Xie glanced at Wang Meng. "Unless you've run out of luck, then there's a small chance you'll have an unfortunate encounter."

"I always run out of luck, Boss. If I really die, is there a pension?"

"No, but I can sell your ashes. My former creditors will surely like them." Wu Xie released a big puff of smoke and said to him, "Blow up the rubber raft and tell the group of scholars we'll rest here today. We'll go to the center of the lake for geological sampling tonight."

Li Cu said: "If there's nothing wrong with the equipment, what if they want to move on today?"

"I'll pour two bottles of vodka into their camel feed."

"DUI?"

"Yes." Wu Xie said, "Their camels will try to ride them."

Fortunately, it would take much longer than expected to dry those instruments, and even in a desert climate, it may take two to three days for them to dry completely.

When an old professor complained about the hot desert wind not blow-drying the equipment quickly enough, the soldiers nearby looked at him like he was crazy.

Wu Xie told Li Cu that no one ever liked the desert wind.

**

If people always move forward, then everything they experience now— whether it's pain or happiness— can eventually become a story they can talk about. If you know this, it's not necessary to endure such things. The most important thing is to make sure that you're really moving forward.

——Wu Xie