Chapter 34: Strange Old Man

After a period of snarling and wrestling with each other, the two finally fell into the haizi. Li Cu forcefully pushed the man away with a splash, and the gun was thrown somewhere far away from the both of them. Then, the man stood up from the water panting. As the two looked at each other under the moonlight, Li Cu found that the man's skin was extremely pale, and it seemed like he wasn't young, but old.

"Who are you?" Li Cu shouted at him, "Why did you attack me? I'm merely passing by!"

After gasping for half a day, the other party spoke in a strange language. Li Cu listened and found that it was a local dialect. If you treated it as common Mandarin, you would never understand it, but if you guessed according to the pronunciation, then you would also be able to figure out the general meaning.

The stranger also seemed to be asking Li Cu, "Who are you?"

Li Cu thought to himself: Don't worry about who I am, it doesn't matter. I'm a victim here. I was kidnapped, and the ones who did it were taken into the sand by a monster. You wouldn't believe me even if I told you, nor would you know who I am even if told you. But when he thought about it, didn't he also ask this same question just now?

For two people who were afraid, the question they wanted answered the most was who the other person was.

"I'm a victim." Li Cu tried to calm himself down. "From Beijing. I'm lost, trapped here. There were originally three people, but now I'm the only one."

The man listened attentively as Li Cu finished speaking, and then said to him in accented Mandarin: "You're a victim. How did that happen? Fall out of an airplane?"

"I don't know." Li Cu scratched his head. "If I said I came by boat, would you believe me?"

The man looked at Li Cu and didn't speak for a long time. He seemed to have an epiphany and said, "Are you really from outside the desert? Not from the sand?"

"If I lied to you, then I'm a puppy."

"If you're a puppy, what good does that do me?" The man still didn't dare to approach Li Cu, but he relaxed a little. "Let me ask you, what year is it now?"

Li Cu gave him a rough idea of the time.

The man was stunned and said quietly, "Oh my God, it's been nearly thirty years. I've been in this fucking place for thirty years."

Li Cu asked him, "Well, Uncle, now it's your turn to tell me... who are you?"

The man looked around, pointed to the truck, and said dully, "I'm a driver."

Li Cu looked at his clothes and found that they were indeed the same as those on the corpses, only they were more ragged and had a lot of things hanging from them.

"Did you drive one of these trucks?"

The man ignored him and said to himself, "It's been thirty years."

Li Cu asked, "Why aren't you dead?" It was only after he asked that he realized how rude he was being.

The man looked a little confused and asked, "Why would I be dead? As long as you know the laws here, you won't die. How can it be so easy to die?"

Li Cu felt that this person was a little crazy, as if something was wrong with his brain. The man suddenly seemed to think of something and turned to Li Cu and asked, "How did you say you got here? By boat?"

Li Cu was just about to answer him and say they came here in a mobile haizi like a bus, when the other man suddenly turned his head to the nearby sand dune, as if listening to something. Li Cu wanted to speak, but the man quickly motioned to him and said, "Shh, don't talk yet."