Chapter 99: Murals

When he had finished, he took a deep breath and yelled down the tunnels on both sides.

"Fuck your ancestors, what's the matter?! Come out and show this little grandfather!" The sounds rose one after the other, all kinds of echoes intertwining all the way down the tunnel.

After the roar died down, he began to sing "Big Sedan Chair" [1]. At that time, a symphonic roar composed of extremely complicated echoes emerged in the passages, where there had been no movement for thirty years.

Li Cu quieted down after singing four or five lines, and when all the echoes finally stopped, he heard another series of slight echoes coming from the passage where Black Glasses had run down.

As the slight echo became louder and louder, it gradually became more discernible, and Li Cu realized that the sound of walking clogs had appeared again.

He grabbed a flare, turned on the detonator, and slowly retreated into the darkness.

The sound of clogs came very quickly, and Li Cu almost lazily wondered what it might be since there were too few clues.

Since I want to know what it is, let me see it with my own eyes. Focus less on your imagination and scaring yourself, and more on action.

When the sound of clogs stopped at the tunnel entrance, Li Cu narrowed his eyes and stared at the darkness surrounding the left-over fluorescent substance, waiting for the thing to appear.

It must be the behemoth, he said to himself, picturing in his mind something like a huge snake sticking its head out of the darkness, its scales glowing in the deep green light.

But that wasn't the case.

No, the first thing that came out of the dark was a mass of black fog, which seemed to be separated from the distant darkness as it rushed to the tunnel fork where the light was.

There was more and more darkness as the black fog slowly filled the whole tunnel space, and that was when Li Cu heard the clear sound of clogs coming from the top of the tunnel.

It wasn't coming from the black fog, but instead seemed as if some device up above had been activated.

The black fog surrounded Li Cu's clothes, changing its depth and shape to fill the whole space.

What the hell was it? A ghost? Or some kind of toxic smoke?

Why was the smoke chasing them?

Li Cu took a few steps closer to get a better look, and as he slowly approached, he heard something similar to resonance. He reflexively felt uncomfortable when he heard the sound, but then he realized what it was.

It was the sound of insects flapping their wings. The sound was very concentrated, indicating that the individual insects were very small.

Could a swarm of insects really scare Black Glasses like that? He sighed heavily, but suddenly found that something was wrong with the surrounding area. He looked at the wall beside him and found that the asphalt was wriggling.

The bumps on the asphalt that he previously thought looked like a skin disease all started to move. He set off a flare and found that the asphalt on the entire tunnel wall around him wasn't actually asphalt, but a large number of beetles the size of shirt buttons.

As countless small beetles began to move, the whole wall seemed to come alive, with the black protrusions constantly twisting. He moved his head back and forth, looking down both ends of the tunnel, but it appeared that it was full of them.