Chapter 110: Choice

After that, the middle-aged man threw the medicine in his hand at Li Cu, who actually caught it.

He was surprised for a moment, but the feeling was instantly suppressed. How exactly did the pheromones work? Could he participate in these memory fragments?

He opened his hand, and was looking at the medicine bottle, when a hand stretched out from behind him and brought the bottle over. Li Cu looked back and saw Black Glasses standing behind him.

Black Glasses said to the man, "Without these tablets, you can't enter the cave. You'll be trapped here, and gradually worn down. It's too dangerous."

The middle-aged man said: "This bottle of tablets isn't enough for all of us. Staying here is more dangerous than those snakes. People are always more terrifying than a dangerous environment."

"It's too much."

"I've lived up to this point, and seen it all." The middle-aged man continued: "We can stick it out here for a period of time, and maybe come up with a solution in such a despairing environment. Putting your hope on things that don't matter will only lead to disaster in the end. You may need these tablets on your way out. What I've told Wu Xie is more important than everyone's lives."

"Master Three, you're the scariest one here!" Black Glasses said: "Moreover, what you said to Wu Xie is of little value by itself."

"If he doesn't understand the meaning of these words, then everything up to this point has been meaningless. If he does understand, then I've said enough." The man said. "Please."

The snake must have been lifted up and put into a closed container. Li Cu felt wet all over, as if the container had been filled with water. He couldn't see anything, it was dark, and all he could hear was the sound of someone putting on equipment, "I'll take this sword with me."

"You and this sword are still bound by fate. You brought it out of the earth and put it into the hands of such a powerful person, but still managed to get it in the end."

"I'll give it back to him. Customer service is very important." Black Glasses said.

This was the last sentence spoken, and everything fell silent. It wasn't completely silent, however, because Li Cu could still hear movement around him— the sound of Black Glasses' equipment hitting his body, the sound of running water, and various birds calling to each other. He had obviously quickly left the middle-aged man and walked into the forest.

Li Cu was drifting.

He was unable to feel curious, and just took it all in stride as he listened carefully to everything outside. He couldn't even distract himself from the situation he was in, and only vaguely knew what was going on. Despite this, no emotions or concerns could emerge, and he had no choice but to focus on his surroundings.

Slowly, he began to understand Wu Xie's pain and suffering. He could feel a strange sense of time, which made him suffer both internally and externally.

In the darkness, he felt as if everything was happening in a flash, but at the same time, he felt himself experiencing every moment of every day.

The darkness never changed as Black Glasses made his way through the desert day after day, occasionally pouring water into the bamboo tube. Li Cu was like a prisoner confined in a dark cage that no one cared about.

It was impossible to know how long he was trapped in the darkness, but when he saw the light again, he recognized Wu Xie's face.

Wu Xie was obviously in an extremely grief-stricken state, and seemed unwilling to face it. He suddenly grabbed the bamboo tube and flung it against the wall.

It was dark and chaotic.

After a long period of time, not only wasn't there any sound, but there weren't any vibrations in the surrounding environment either.

Then, everything around him lit up.

Li Cu saw a room that was so cramped it couldn't be described with words. He could also hear the sound of running water, and everything felt very damp.

Wu Xie was sitting on a bed with a moldy quilt, and Li Cu was sitting opposite him.

Wu Xie's hair was unkempt, he had an unshaven beard, and his eyes had changed. It was as if what Li Cu had witnessed before were two very different people. He didn't know how long the darkness had actually lasted, but this time, Wu Xie must have gone through some earth-shattering changes.

There were some discarded bags of instant noodles and snacks scattered around, along with many wine bottles piled on the ground. And, of course, there were piles of cigarette butts.

"I'm not afraid of you anymore." Wu Xie seemed to be teasing the snake, "Are you starting to fear me?"

Li Cu thought for a moment before deciding that Wu Xie really wasn't talking to him.

"It's really amazing." Wu Xie said: "The effectiveness of Little Brother's blood comes from you." He lit a cigarette and leaned against the cement wall behind him.

"Be good, and don't move. I have something important for you to convey." As he spoke, his eyes changed focus until he was staring intently into Li Cu's eyes.

"Hi, stranger." Wu Xie said to Li Cu, "I don't know who you are yet, but you must hate me very much right now. I just want to say that I've already pulled you into this venture of dubious merit, so for your own sake, you have to patiently listen to me."

Li Cu looked at Wu Xie and suddenly realized how things were going to turn out.

"First things first, forget all the things you've experienced before. Those things have no meaning." Wu Xie said. "The reason why you can see me telling you these things right now is because some people are very curious about the information, but they don't have the talent like you and me. Or, I guess you can call it a disability."

Wu Xie exhaled his cigarette smoke. It was clear to see that he was exhausted, but his eyes were cold: "It's not hard to find people with talents like you and me, but few people can understand this kind of snake. They'll treasure your talent very much, because you'll help them analyze a lot of information that's been lost through the ages, which was supposed to be my job. Unfortunately, this will also be the beginning of your nightmare."

"You'll become one of them. For centuries, there haven't been any outsiders who could really get involved in their core. The only person who had a chance was me. Unfortunately, all of the people in my family who made preparations were misled by an illusion. They attacked a "honeypot", which was actually a shadow created by our real enemy. I haven't been trusted since I was born, and I lost the chance to approach them. It's very sad waiting for my fate, because as long as someone can replace me, I'll be mercilessly erased."

Wu Xie coughed a few times as the smoke apparently irritated his lungs. He slowed down, but continued smoking: "But, if you become one of them, you'll spend the rest of your life in a dark prison, interacting with snakes all day long. There won't be any chance of escape, no one will know where you're locked up, and no one will know what's happened to you. Before the moment you saw me here, you were completely innocent and untouched by any of my schemes, so they'll have absolute trust in your cleanliness."

"Now, you'll wake up in half an hour, but before you do, you have two choices. Your first choice is to tell those around you all the information you've learned here once you've woken up. Your second option is to patiently listen to my plan. It's only with this plan that you can get rid of those people around you, and regain your freedom for the rest of your life."