Frenemies Forever

When morning came, I awoke with a loud groan. The sun had barely risen, light blinding our eyes, casting shadows on the grass behind us.

"Raina?" Aragorn called me "Its time to leave."

I groaned again.

'This early?!'

Still, I mustered the strength within myself to rise from my bed, and stand as alert as I could. The air was cold, and light fog settled among the bushes and trees. The fire was out completely, and Merry and Pippin were yawning heavily too.

As I looked around the camp, I saw that I had been the last to get up, breakfast almost entirely eaten except for what appeared to be my food on a plate. Aragorn must have let me have a lie in.

I hope he wouldn't do that too often. I didn't want to hold the Fellowship back in any way.

I decided I would try my best to wake up as early as everyone else, if I could. I picked up my pack and stuffed my blanket in it, took out my cloak and secured it around my shoulders and walked over to Sam by the fire.

"Morning Gamgee!"

He looked at me and smirked.

"Morning ma'am. There's your plate, right there behind you."

"Thank you." I told him, retrieving the plate "Ooh. Bacon and sausages. Not bad."

I began to eat the lukewarm food, watching as the others gathered themselves and made ready to leave. Aragorn led Bill closer to the group, strapping equipment onto the horse tightly, while Sam poured water over the fireplace, and Legolas placed his bow behind his back.

The atmosphere around the camp was disquiet, what with Gimli and Legolas barely making eye contact, and when they did, both of them flashing looks of disapproval.

The hobbits mostly stuck to themselves and Gandalf and Aragorn, I observed, and Boromir stuck to no one. I decided that it was time to break the ice. Well. After all, we would be together for the next few months.

Aragorn signalled me over to Bill, whereupon he carefully helped me upward onto the Pony, and the saddle that would forever be the bane of my existence, causing me numerous unwanted weggies.

I tried my best to sit comfortably, gripping Bill tight, the once dispelled ache returning to my muscles. Gandalf gave our camp no parting words, we merely moved on from this place in a silent line, one behind the other. It was as if we were all wanderers; with no emotional attachment or regard for anything.

I was sure I wouldn't forget though.

I mean, it had been my first night with the fellowship.

Throughout the morning the fellowship and I traversed through countless fields. It was pleasant, the sun shone brightly, although a chill still remained in the air. The long greenage and wheat swung steadfastly, the sounds of trickling water filling my ears occasionally, as I basked in as much sunlight as I possibly could.

Life here was different. Yes there were mountains, trees and wildlife. But everything here seemed more real; ethereal. You know how, in Christianity, the world was supposed to be such a captivating, magnificent place, before sin. Well, Middle Earth was like our earth. At least, before the sin of Adam and Eve.

Even thinking about the exquisite beauty is so hard to comprehend because I have never seen so much in my entire life. The grass seems greener, the sun shines like it's made of eternal strength and love, and the trees..they seem alive. Sentient.

That's what makes the darkness here so unbearable. Why would anyone want to corrupt anything as perfect as this?

The thoughts of darkness consume my thoughts, riddles in the dark, puzzles with missing pieces, until I finally ask into the silence.

"What's the difference between orcs, and goblins?"

The company all looks at me. Gimli grunts.

"There is no difference lass; for they are one and the same, both ill-looking and both will eventually find their way toward my axe."

"Then why do they have different names?"

"It depends on where you are from, Raina." Aragorn tells me.

I turn my head. From this morning, Sam had begun to lead Bill. He was less steady than Aragorn, and I had a few "woah moments" but altogether he was a good horseman.

"The people of the land of Rohan use goblin. The elves use orc, they are the same."

I nod.

"Is it true that they were once elves?"

Gandalf sighed.

"That is how their race began, yes."

"They were mutilated by the dark powers weren't they?"

Gandalf pauses, looking at me.

"You seem to be well read up on your history, my'lady." Boromir smirks.

"Not really." I say embarrassed, as Bill clumps along. "I still don't know who those 'dark powers' are."

"The first you know," Gandalf explained "He is Sauron. The second is his master, Morgoth."

"Mor' what?" Pippin asked from beside me

"Morgoth. A fallen Valar." Legolas clarified from the front.

"What's a Valar?" Merry asked

Gimli chuckled.

"What? You mean amongst eating and drinking and smoking, they never taught you hobbits your history?"

The hobbits fall silent.

"Not really." Pippin answers "Unless you count where to get the best Longbottum Leaf, not any of this cheap stuff you find nowadays."

"I'm afraid Pippin, that that does not count as history." Gandalf replies. "It is more of the...geographical studies."

"Do you know how Arda began?" Frodo asked him

"And all this stuff about Valar and Morgoth."Sam added.

"It is not just stuff, Master Gamgee." Aragorn replied "It is real. Very real indeed. It is what binds us together."

"Will we get to hear this...retelling then?" Boromir asks, shifting his shield slightly "Mithrandir?"

Gandalf nods.

"Not now though, much later, when we stop for the night. And I won't be telling it."

"Then, who will?" Merry questioned.

"Well. Apart from me there is one other who knows the full account of Arda, for he has probably read even more books than I have."

'Who Gandalf? Eru Iluvatar?' I smirked at my corny inside joke.

Even I was puzzled. Gandalf smiled at our perplexed faces. He signalled forward.

"Legolas."

The elf turned around, his blue eyes catching sunlight, and smiled back. I averted my gaze.

Gimli snorted.

"Ha!" He laughed, axe jogging slightly "No elf could tell the story like a dwarf."

His laughter rang out throughout the field.

"You're right." Legolas answered "We tell it better."

Gimli's laughter ended abruptly, the dwarf grit his teeth and furrowed his brows. Legolas smirked before turning to Gandalf.

"I would be delighted to tell the story Mithrandir. The only thing I ask for is for no interruptions. It can get rather complicated and you can easily lose your way when telling it."

"I think we can all manage that, can't we?" Gandalf answered and I shrugged.

"We'll see.." I hear Gimli mutter darkly, before murmuring something in khudzul, the tongue of the dwarves. I giggled to myself.

Legolas and Gimli: Frenemies Forever.