Chapter Fifty-two

A/N: Hey guys, happy new year. It's been so long since I last updated and I sincerely apologize for the gruesome negligence. I had actually lost the urge to write for some reason and no matter how hard I tried words just weren't flowing.
I know I should've have been up front with you guys but I didn't want to come out and promise you a date that I wasn't sure I'd be able to meet up to. 

Now that it feels like I'm out of that space, I hope to be consistent from now on. Anyways, I wish you all a prosperous and blessed year ahead.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Noah's POV)

Weeks had gone past and we still haven't gotten a lead on the private investigation which was very frustrating. Our first move was to track the accounts of both Kunle and his mother for any transactions made the day before the verdict was given or even after but we turned up with nothing. The PI also inspected that of the judge but there was nothing implicative. If there was to be any bribing involved, they must have been very discrete and careful with it.

While the investigations were going on, Aunt Chisom was also busy with whole court of appeal task. After a letter of appeal was sent out, it took a week and a half before we received a response from them. They agreed to look into our case and had a court date set up but the only issue was that the date was set two months from our current date.

Aunt Chisom informed us that this was the earliest we could be given because the court had so many cases pending. She also told us that one of the officials offered to move the date closer but an amount of money would be deposited. They basically asked for a bribe. Aunt Chisom declined the offer because she wanted to keep our slate clean and didn't want anything to be brought up in court that would paint us in a bad light.

Back at home, Ijeoma and I were working on a visitation schedule which was taking a toll on her. We were going to have a mediator present when we eventually meet with Kunle, to help us find a middle ground. Ijeoma spent most of her time in Zozo's room either working on the schedule or sleeping, she no longer stayed in her room.

I was actually worried about her. She spent whatever extra time she had looking out of Zozo's window, deep in thought. She hardly spoke unless she was spoken to, hardly ate anything and fluctuated between being bearably sad and deeply depressed.

I tried to get her to talk about how she was feeling and be there for her but she kept insisting she was fine and had nothing to say even though it was evident that she wasn't fine. I had caught her silently crying numerous times and it hurt me that she didn't want to confide in me.

I walked over to the electric cooker, a steaming pot of already made fried rice settled on it. I had decided to make something different for dinner, also the chopping of the vegetables and the whole cooking process took my mind off our current situation.

I reduced the heat of the cooker, it wouldn't take too long for the food to be done. As I moved away from the cooker, I saw a figure move from the corner of my eyes. I poked my head out of the kitchen to see Ijeoma heading for the stairs.

"Hey" I called out. "Good thing you came down. You're just in time for dinner"

She halted for a couple of seconds before speaking.

"I'm good. Thank you" she moved to climb the stairs.

"Hold on" I walked over to her and took her hands in mine.

"I know you barely had anything to eat today and that's not good for you. So please, come and have dinner with me"

She made to speak and instantly, I knew she was about to make some excuse so I added a drawn out 'please'.