Chapter Twenty

A/N: Again guys, I apologize for the long wait, I realize I'm beginning to get sloppy with my updates.
Without further ado, here's this chapter.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Noah

"Thank you" I said as I took the keys from the attendant.

"Do you even know how to drive this thing?" Ijeoma asked gesturing at the speedboat in front of us.

"Of course" I assured her with a smile.

She looked skeptically from speedboat to me and then back to the boat; it was like with every passing minute she became more reluctant.

It was a sunny Saturday afternoon and we were at the beach, just the two of us. We were surrounded by people who were either sprawled out on towels under the sun or riding horses with the assistance of the horse boys. There were some people huddled under secluded, thatch-roofed spots which they likely had rented and some couples were holding hands, positioned at the shore in order for the water to lightly touch their feet.

There were a few people who actually dared to swim in the ocean; I use 'dare' because here in Nigeria, people don't swim in the oceans because of the fear of being taken too deep into the ocean and not being able to make it back to the shore. There were stories of people going into the ocean and not being able to come back, then later turn up washed ashore, bloated from the amount of water that they must have consumed as they drowned. Some even talk about the existence of 'mammy water' which is what we call mermaids and how they draw people who venture too deep into the water and eat them up.

I gently climbed into the white fiberglass speedboat with an outboard engine before giving Ijeoma a hand in getting into the boat. I started the engine and drove away from the shore and deeper into the ocean.

"Relax" I said when I noticed Ijeoma's rigid posture.

"Easy for you to say" she said with her eyes closed.

I laughed. "This is supposed to be a fun date, at least open your eyes"

"Can you cut me some slack? I've never been on a speedboat before" she said with her eyes still closed.

"Just relax. Nothing is going to happen, you're safe. Trust me" I assured her.

She took in a deep breath before prying her eyes open. It took her a few more minutes before she began to relax and unstiffen her muscles.

"See, that wasn't so bad" I said with a smile. "And if at all, anything happens, we have life jackets on" I said pointing to the orange life jackets.

She immediately sent a glare my way.

"But nothing would happen" I quickly added with a cheeky smile.

She chuckled.

I drove the speedboat further into the ocean but we could still see the beach from where were. Ijeoma, finally completely relaxed and even asked to drive the boat. I got behind her as I directed her on what to do.

She let out a whooping scream as she got a hang of driving it, she looked so carefree with the wind in her hair and her white transparent beach cover-up, flying in the air behind her. I loved how happier she was, the smile that was plastered on her face, the twinkling in her eyes as she laughed. I never thought I would ever be this content in another person's happiness.

She relinquished the wheel to me before taking out her phone to take pictures. We took a couple of videos and pictures making different faces ranging from serious to cute and then goofy.

We were very far away from the beach when all of a sudden, the boat stopped.

"What? What happened?" Ijeoma asked, the pitch in her voice slowly rising.