Chapter seventeen

A/N: Another chapter
Enjoy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ijeoma

"Come on" I urged my father on.

He groaned as he continues to walk in short and slow strides in his hospital gown along the hospital corridor.

He had his surgery yesterday and the doctors ordered him to take a walk around the hospital to exercise in order to prevent the likelihood of two potential complications which are the DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis – a clot in the leg as a result of being stationary for too long) and PE (Pulmonary Embolus – when a DVT clot travels to the lung).

It was a beautiful Saturday morning, the sun was high up in the sky and the weather was a little warm which was a nice break from the constant rain from two days ago. Although, this is Nigeria weather and it is very unpredictable therefore it could still rain later in the day.

Luckily, today I didn't have to work and so I was here early in the morning along with Zozo. There was no need to leave her at home because I would be able to keep a close eye on her and also because weekends were our mother-daughter bonding day.

"Okay, I think that's enough" I said to my father once we got to the end of the corridor. "Let's head back to your room"

He let out another groan as he slowly turned around and began his journey back to his room. Zozo was looking around the whole place in fascination; she watched every doctor, nurse, and patient that passed by us as we walked hand in hand with my dad to his room.

Noah was working today and was busy with his morning rounds which were why he wasn't here with us. Although, he popped into my dad's room to say 'hi' when he got into the hospital earlier in the morning. Zozo wanted to go with him but I had to hold her back telling her that he was going to be working and wouldn't have time for her.

My father was so emotional when he first saw Zozo; he was still in shock that his baby girl has a baby girl of her own. He wanted to hold her but I didn't want to risk him getting injured because I knew how rough Zozo could be when she played and he just got out of surgery, I didn't need him lifting anything or anyone. We settled on her just sitting on the bed with him next to her, I was surprised that she didn't oppose it because they had just met. I guess she just likes the fact that she had a grandpa and that there were more people in her life than just me.

We walked into my father's room and we were faced with the two people I hadn't seen for close to three years now.

My mother and sister Kamsi.

My mother looked a lot older than she did three years ago; she looked really stressed out with dark shades around her eyes and her eyes sunken in their sockets like someone who wasn't had proper sleep in a long time.

My sister on the other hand looked a lot bigger and fresher than she did when I last saw her. She was skinny, bony, and had close to nothing in the chest area the last time we saw but now it was like I was viewing a totally different person. The only thing that looked familiar to me was her face; her full eyebrows and her chin that jutted out in defiance were her prominent facial features and they were features she shared with my mom.

I stood in my spot transfixed with shock: I knew they were coming in today but I just never thought about how it would feel seeing them after such a long time especially on the basis of which I left. As I stood there contemplating my next choice of action, my sister's eye jammed with mine and she let out a loud ear-piercing scream before rushing towards me and threw herself at me.

I almost lost my balance as I wasn't expecting the sudden rush but I managed to stabilize myself and return the hug she was giving me. We broke apart and I noticed my mom had moved closer to where we were, she quickly enveloped me in a hug.