Chapter Twenty-two

A/N: Hey guys, I know I have been terribly slacking off and I sincerely apologize for it. I've been extremely lazy these past few days but I'm back now.
Here's another chapter, enjoy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Noah

(A couple of months later)

My phone chimed in the side pockets of my teal green scrubs. I pulled it out to see a Whatsapp message notification from Ijeoma.

I chuckled when I saw an image of a crying Zozo in her cute little school uniform; a white shirt, stripped with tiny black lines running vertically along the shirt and a plain ash coloured pinafore.

It had been a few weeks since Zozo began kindergarten; she was so excited to be starting school initially. She was literally bouncing with excitement when Ijeoma and I walked her into the school premises.

Little Angels private school was one of the most prestigious nursery and primary schools. Their academic excellence was outstanding that it was literally a hassle to get your child into the school as there were many other children trying to get in as well.

Ijeoma was skeptical about enrolling Zozo because she felt that was where top men and women of the society took their children and also wouldn't be able to afford it. I was able to persuade her into letting me help out with part of the school fees as the other half was being covered by her parents.

Zozo's excitement didn't last through the whole day because when Ijeoma returned to get her at the end of the day, she was spotting a sad look on her face. The kindergarten teacher informed Ijeoma that Zozo had begun to ask for her mummy two and a half hours after they left and then started to cry.

Ever since then, anytime Ijeoma takes out Zozo's school uniform, she quickly realizes what's to come and starts crying, making a huge fuss which explains the picture.

How's it going over there? – I texted back

It was a disaster trying to get that uniform on her
she almost broke my nose whilst she was kicking and screaming – Ijeoma replied in seconds

Awwn, I'm sorry
She'll get used to the whole school thing very soon – I texted

Yeah, I can't wait
we're on our way to her school, talk to you later – She replied before going offline.

I placed my phone back into my pocket and headed over to see my first patient of the day

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I walked into the children's ward where my last patient for the day was located. A few other doctors where present in the room when I walked in.

"Dr. Noah" Joy, my twelve year old patient announced happily

Joy and her mother had come to the hospital a year ago, they were referred from one of the free clinics. Joy had an abdominal cancerous tumor that had enlarged in size limiting her movement and most of her daily activities.

Joy wasn't the first enlarged tumor case we've had, it was sadly common in Nigeria. A lot of people don't know the relevance of regular check-ups and even they do, they can't afford it which was why it was made free in or clinics and also public awareness was carried out in rural areas to educate people on the importance of regular check-us and how dangerous it was to ignore body pains or changes until it got too complicated/big to handle.

Joy's mother is a trader, selling local food stuffs in the market, barely making enough to sustain herself and her daughter. Her husband had passed a couple of years ago, leaving her and Joy to fend for their selves. They were placed on the pro bono cases list since they couldn't afford the money for the operation and the follow up chemotherapy that Joy needed.