Chapter Fifty-three

Noah's POV

Ever since Ijeoma confided in me about how she was feeling, I noticed a change in attitude. I didn't know if it was what I said or something else entirely but she wasn't as gloomy as she used to be. She wasn't exactly all smiles but she was moping around the house, there was an air of determination around her.

I actually thought the new attitude would falter immediately after we had our first visitation. I remember checking up on her every five minutes the morning after because she was extremely quiet after we left Kunle's house. I expected her to recline into her shell after seeing Zozo for the first time in weeks and having to leave her behind with them but she didn't. In fact was more determined than ever.

Due to the fact that two parties lived in different states which were kilometres apart from each other, we had to make the visitations once a month. We wanted to make the visits as frequent as possible but the mediator advised against it. It wasn't economically wise for us to fly over to Lagos and back twice in a month even though we weren't complaining.

As we drove into the Ayorinde's residence, I wasn't surprised to see the edifice that stood firm in the middle of the compound. It was after all the home to a governorship aspirant, I didn't expect anything less. It was a large storey building, painted peach with cream crevices and slabs. Properly groomed flowers rested on the walls that surrounded the compound. To the side of the house laid a freshly mowed lawn. A small pawpaw tree was planted at a corner of the lawn. From what I could see, the beautification of the house was done with great care.

Once we got down from our car, a man in a blue stripped uniform approached us. He kept his conversation with us as minimal as possible while he led us to the side of the house. A set of five black outdoor chairs were placed around a circular table on the lawn. There was a circular hole in the middle of the table where the pole holding a large umbrella passed through.

The umbrella provided a well appreciated shade from the hot afternoon sun. After indicating that we wait for Kunle on the outdoor chairs, the man in blue disappeared into the house.

We waited for about ten minutes before, a young lady in the same uniform as the man appeared with a tray. The tray held a Chivita apple juice box and two empty glasses. Ijeoma eyed the tray warily as the young lady set it down on the table.

"Do I pour it for you?" the lady asked

I held up a hand to her. "No, thank you. We're fine"

She nodded and walked away.

Mrs. Funmilayo appeared almost as quickly as the lady left. She was dressed in a black  boubou, a black matching turban sat on her head and her face all made up like she was about to step out.

"Sorry for the wait. Welcome" she said as she approached us.

Ijeoma and I stood to exchange handshakes with her out of curtsey. They were after all the ones who housed our daughter, some form of cordiality needed to be observed.

"Fadekemi would soon be out. She's having her lunch" Mrs. Funmilayo said

"Fadekemi?" Ijeoma asked with furrowed brows

"Chizolu... we gave her a Yoruba name. I mean she didn't have one and her father is a Yoruba man" she stated. "It's only right"

Ijeoma took a moment to digest the information. "Is it official?"

"Of course. We had it added to her birth certificate" Mrs. Funmilayo replied nonchalantly

There was a short lived silence before Ijeoma spoke up.

"What?! Wait... hold on, you added a name to my daughter's certificate without informing me. Is this a joke?" Ijeoma spat out, her eyes squinted in annoyance.