Chapter 112

"What?!"

"Kill her!" The voice demanded. "And if you don't, everyday one of the people in your family with disappear. Then they'll die one by one."

"You couldn't do that," I said through clenched teeth.

"Oh but I will. And if you tell anyone about our little chat, I'll make sure everyone you know will die." They shoved me forwards and when I turned around, they were gone.

My breath was shaky as I sat back down next to Maggie who was now asleep. I felt someone poke my cheek and I looked to my left.

"Daddy what's wrong?" Emmie asked.

"Nothing honey. Go to sleep," I said and held her close, afraid the whoever was out there would take her.

~~~~~

The next day I couldn't even talk. I kept eyeing Carol without anyone noticing. I didn't know what to do. It was either my family or Carol, but Carol was practically family too.

I was at the back of the group, making sure I could see everyone.

"You gotta keep up Em," I said as she trailed behind me.

"I can't my ribs hurt," she said and held where she was stabbed.

"I know honey but we are almost there," I told her and gave a reassuring smile.

"I think the ASZ will be okay and maybe we could even live there again," she said with a hint of doubt in her voice. "Don't you think so?"

"I hope so." I looked ahead. "I'm gonna go speak to Rick real quick. You stay with Dylan alright?"

She nodded and I walked to Rick.

"Rick, even if there is some things left when we get there, how are we gonna make it work?" I asked.

"That I don't know."

"How will we rebuild the wall and everything else all by ourselves?" It was silent for a moment where all you could hear was the crunch of the leaves under our boots.

"Maybe we won't be by ourselves," Rick replied.

We walked in silence until the sun started to set.

"We will have to stop for one more night before we get there," Rick said. "Everyone knows their jobs."

I looked around but didn't see Emmie.

"Uh Maggie?" I said, worry filling my voice.

"Yea?" She pecked me on the lips. She was so oblivious to what was happening. Everyone was.

"Do you know where Emmie is?" I asked.

"I thought she was with you," she replied. We franticly looked around and didn't find Emmie anywhere.

Those people took her. The weren't kidding. Emmie's gone.