Chapter 59

*Emmie's POV*

I didn't have school the next day so I got to sleep in. When I finally woke up, I went out into the kitchen to find daddy packing up two backpacks.

"What are you doin'?" I asked.

"I'm going on a run with Daryl today. Dylan, you're coming too. You need to know how to shoot," daddy said.

"Can I go?" I asked.

He hesitated but I gave him my puppy eyes. "Alright, but are you sure you're up to it?"

"Yep!"

"Can I go?" Michael asked.

"No, you need to stay," daddy told him.

"Why does Emmie get to go? I'm older!" He protested.

"Technically, you're not," I mumbled.

"Because, Emmie has been out there before, it may sound fun until you're swarmed by walkers," dad told Michael.

I ran into my room and changed into my clothes. Since I was going outside the fences, I put on jeans and a shirt with my combat boots.

When I was finished Dylan handed me a backpack. I put on my holster belt and stuck my pistol in it along with a knife. Then, I put an extra knife in my boot.

"I'm ready!" I said and went to the kitchen.

"Really? How many clips you got for your pistol?" Mom asked.

"Five."

"Where are they?"

"Two in my pockets for quick access and three in my bag," I said confidently.

"That's my girl," mom said and kissed my head.

Daddy pulled a rifle out of the closet I tried to grab it but Dylan got it first.

"Dylan!" I whined.

"I wasn't giving it to you anyway," dad said. "The kickback will hurt you if you're not careful Em."

I pulled on my jacket.

"Let's go Rhee's!" Daryl banged on the front door.

I gave mom a hug and she kissed my head. "Bye mommy!"

She did the same to Dylan. Daddy ave mom a hug and a kiss.

"Love you guys!" She said when we walked out the door.

"You too!" Daddy yelled.

~~~~~

Once we were in the woods, we split up. Me and Daryl, and Dylan and daddy.

All of a sudden, my stomach started to hurt like it did back at my old house.

"Dare?" I said and held my stomach.

"Ya kiddo?" He stopped.

"I don't feel good."

"We gotta keep going Em. What happens if you're alone? You just stop 'cause you ain't felling well?" He asked.

"No."

We walked for a while until Daryl stopped again. He held up a finger.

"You see that?" He whispered softly.

I noticed he was pointing to two squirrels.

I nodded and he held up his crossbow. Before I knew it, the squirrel was dead.

Within seconds, both the squirrels were in Daryl's bag.

"That's how you do it Em," he said.

We walked back to where we were going to meet daddy. They were waiting for us by the big oak tree.

"How'd it go?" He asked and gave me a hug.

"Four squirrels, 1 rabbit, and a bird." Daryl looked in his bad and recited our finds.

"We got-" Daryl cut daddy off.

He out a finger to his lips and we got out our guns.

"Someone's coming," Daryl whispered.

"Walker?" I asked.

"No, I hear footsteps that are going at a constant pace, unlike the walkers. Also, there is no moaning," Daryl informed us. We tried to see what it was but it was goofy out and you could barely see a few feet away.

"Maybe it's someone from the ASZ!" Dylan suggested.

"We ain't been gone that long. They wouldn't send someone it looking for us."

The footsteps suddenly stopped when we stopped talking.

"Dyaln, take your sister and get in the tree!" Dad whisper-yelled.

"But I can help!" Dylan protested.

"Take her in the tree!" Dad said again.

Daddy took my face in his hands and kissed my forehead. "No matter what happens, I love you baby girl," he told me. "You to Dylan. You keep Emmie safe, don't come down no matter what happens."

The footsteps got closer.

Dylan started to climb the tree with me right behind him. My foot slipped on the bark and got caught in a knothole. I stifled a scream and yanked it loose. It hurt so bad that I couldn't put pressure on it.

"Dylan, help!" I whispered.

He was perched on a branch above me. He reached his hand down and pulled me up.

I trembled in my brothers arm, scared for our lives. Daddy and Daryl had their backs against the trunk, ready to attack anything that came at them.

"Shhh," Dylan said softly. I silently cried.

We waited another minute when people jumped out of the woods and towards daddy and Daryl.

||A/N||
Cliffhanger! Not really, I suck at making good cliffhangers. Hope you enjoyed!