Chapter 55

I laid in bed that night trying to sleep, but my guilt took over me. I looked around, Dylan, Michael, and Addie were all asleep.

I hugged my stuffed bear to my chest and got out of bed. My light blue pajamas were not doing a good job at keeping me warm so I rubbed my arms to keep them warm. I went to Dylan's bed and shook his shoulders.

"Dylan......Dylan, wake up," I said. He groaned and swatted my hands away. I looked around the room and went to the door. Slowly, I opened it and ran down the hall to the bedroom.

I opened the door and went tot the bed.

"Daddy, daddy wake up," I whispered and poked his cheek.

"What?" He asked half asleep.

"Daddy, wake up," I said again. This time he sat up and leaned against the headboard.

"What's wrong?"

"Can't sleep." I crawled onto the end of the bed.

"Why not?"

"I feel guilty," I confessed.

He patted his lap and I crawled into his arms. Mom must've woken up cause she sat up.

"What's wrong?" She asked. I sat down between them on the bed.

"I feel guilty about what happened to Dylan, Michael, and Addie. It's all my fault that they are how they are!" I felt warm tears fall from my eyes.

"It's not your fault Em," mom said.

"It is! Don't lie to me! They didn't get to grow up because of me! If I hadn't of caved in and told them where you were, none of this would've happened!" I cried. "If I wouldn't have run away in the first place.....everything would be fine!" I wiped my eyes and hugged my stuffed bear.

"You did what you had to do. It doesn't matter now, because we are all safe," daddy told me.

"But they didn't get to grow up!" I threw my bear across the room.

"Ya know," mom started and brushed my hair out of my face. "maybe it's best that they didn't get to grow up in this world. With the walkers everywhere, maybe it's best. I think about everyday what this world is doing to Harper. What's she going to be? Who is she going to be?"

"She'll be alive, because she has the best parents in the world," I said and hugged them both.

"Don't feel bad, it's best for them to not grow up in this world," mom said. "You wanna stay in here tonight?"

I nodded and went across the room to get my stuffed bear. I then crawled back in bed, receiving a kiss from both my parents.

"Love you, Em," they both said.

"Love you too."