1

• • •

• • •

     "California, here we are!" Mom spoke enthusiastically as she pulled up to the apartment complex with large words that read 'South Seas'. Daniel looked back at me from the front seat, giving me the same look that we gave her the minute Mom told us we were moving across the entire country. I only shrugged, showing that I didn't know what to do. He sighed and we both got out of the old car and began to unload. 

"Look at those palm trees! Damn, you know what this means?" Mom looks at us while squinting her eyes from the bright sun. 

"Yeah, watch out for falling coconuts," I replied sarcastically, grabbing my backpack from the backseat where I sat. 

I sensed Mom rolling her eyes as she swat my back, "Wise one." She retorted as Daniel chuckled at my sarcasm. "It means no Newark winters!" She continues.

"I like the winters, Ma," Daniel says, struggling to untie his bike from the roof of the car.

"Oh, so you like the sore throats? The frozen toes?" 

"I'm sure the smog will provide us with that," I muttered under my breath as I helped Daniel after setting my backpack down. 

"Did I tell you about the pool?" Mom asked, grabbing the laundry basket filled with things. 

"About a hundred times, Ma," Daniel responded.

"Make it a hundred 'n one. Open your eyes, my darling children, this is the Garden of Eden!" She says, walking to the gate. "Listen, we're in apartment twenty, alright? One flight up!" She walked through the entry gate leaving Daniel and me alone at the car.

"Jesus Christ..." Daniel muttered. "Ma's gone mad." 

I chuckled, nodding and grabbing my skateboard. "At least she didn't take us to the islands, Danny. Can you imagine that?"

"That's basically what this place is, Noe!" He laughs. 

I rolled my eyes, "Is not!" We began to walk to the entry while continuing to bicker.

"Is too!"

"Is not!"

As I opened the gate, a guy fell, holding tightly onto his nose while groaning in pain. "Jesus, Daniel! We're here five minutes and you already piss me off enough to hit somebody." I told Daniel, kneeling down to help the guy. "I'm so sorry, my brother was being an asshole and I wasn't paying attention." I apologized quickly to the guy and Daniel and I helped him up.

"No, no. It's alright." He dismissed, letting us help him up. "You guys must be the new people in apartment twenty, right?"

"Uh, yeah. I guess so." I said with a small shrug. 

He stuck out his hand with a smile, "Freddy Fernandez, apartment seventeen." He introduced, shaking my hand first.

"Noelle LaRusso." I introduced.