26

• • •

• • •

     "What belt are you?" The man asked.

"Why matter?" Mister Miyagi asked. 

"This is open division, it's only for brown belt or above." He explained.

"Oh, dear..." I muttered.

"Boy... ehm... black belt." Mister Miyagi nodded. The man nodded, writing it down.

"You'd better hustle, they're starting. Down the hall, to your left." 

"I'll see you inside," Daniel said to me. I nodded and he walked off with Ali trailing behind him but heading in a different direction. 

I was about to walk off, but Mister Miyagi grabbed my arm, "Excuse me, Mister Referee." He stood on the side of the table, "This is not 'Miyaji'. Miyagi, Miyagi." He handed me a black belt from the duffel bag, I took it, hiding it in my front as I walked away. "Okay, thank you." 

Mister Miyagi followed me as I met up with Ali at the entrance. "We got a belt," I told her, going up to her.

"Oh! From where?"

"They provide." Mister Miyagi said.

"He hasn't come back yet?" I asked her.

She shook her head, tapping her foot impatiently. "No, not yet. He'd better hurry, they're going to start any minute."

"What do you think's the hold-up?" I asked her.

She shrugged, clearly looking anxious. "You think the cobras found him?" 

"I don't know." 

"Mister Miyagi," Daniel said, coming up to us. Ali took the belt and began to tie it around Daniel's waist as we walked. 

"Hurry, tournament starting." Mister Miyagi said, ushering us ahead of him. 

"Where'd we get this?"

"Daniel LaRusso, please report to the Ring..." They called over the intercom.

"Where's the Ring?" I asked, looking around the place. 

"Over there." Ali nodded ahead.

"Hold it!" We turned around, a referee spotted us, coming up to us. "Sorry, teachers and students only."

"He doesn't speak English." Daniel lied quickly. "And I can't understand his instructions without her, she's his translator," Daniel said, referring to Ali. 

Mister Miyagi began to speak in Japanese. "What'd he say?" The referee asked.

"Uh... you remind him of his uncle in Tokyo," Ali said quickly. 

"I guess it's okay." He said, then looked at me. "And you?"

"Uh, I'm his assistant. I don't know if you could tell, but he's diabetic and these types of crowds overwhelm him." I quickly lied.