17

• • •

• • •

      When Johnny pulled up to the Encino Hills Country Club, I was already regretting my choice of outfit and even agreeing to this in the first place. What if his parents don't like me? What if something goes wrong? "Elle, you alright?" He asked, looking over at me. 

I cleared my throat, nodding my head quickly. "Yeah!" My voice was too squeaky for my liking. "Totally fine! Kinda shitting myself, but completely fine!" 

"Elle, there's nothing to be nervous about. Ali's here, my mom will love you, and I'll be with you the entire time. Yeah?"

I sighed, nodding before we got out of his car. His arm was wrapped around my waist as we walked up the stairs and inside. "So, are you planning on dancing with Ali?" I asked him quietly as we passed the bar and the dance floor where older couples swayed to the classical music. 

He shrugged, "Probably. But you and I have to dance, alright?"

I looked up at him, utterly terrified at what he just said. "What?" I squeaked.

"Oh, there you are, Johnny! We were worried that maybe you'd ditched us." A woman who looked almost completely identical to Johnny stood up and greeted him.

"Sorry, Mom. I went to pick up someone." He apologized. That was when her crystal blue eyes landed on me. "Mom, this is Noelle." Johnny introduced me.

"Hi," My voice squeaked again. I cleared my throat before trying again. "Hi, Missus Lawrence. It's great to meet you." I smiled, shaking her hand.

"Likewise." She smiled warmly. "And please, call me Laura." 

"Jesus, Laura, the bar is packed- who are you?" A man who looked nothing like Johnny came up to us, eyeing me while wrapping an arm around Laura.

"Darling, don't be rude." Laura pleaded. "This is Johnny's friend, Noelle." 

"Another girl, Johnny? Jesus, wouldn't wanna be in your shoes." He rolled his eyes. 

"Sid," Laura spoke. 

"So where do you live, Noelle?" He asked me, eyeing me again.

"Uh... ou-out in Reseda. My family and I-"

Sid put his hand up, motioning for me to stop. "Heard enough." I nodded awkwardly and heard Johnny sigh. 

"Come on, let's go dance." He muttered, taking me out to the dance floor. 

"I, uh..." I chuckled awkwardly before I looked up at him. "I don't know how to dance." 

Johnny chuckled, "That's alright. I'll teach you. Put your hand on my shoulder." He instructed. I hesitated but placed my left hand on his shoulder. His arm wrapped around my waist while his other hand held my free one. "See, not that hard."

"For you, maybe not." I joked. Johnny smiled before he began to sway us to the music that was playing. I looked down to my feet, making sure I wouldn't step on him before the hand that was around my waist was under my chin and made me look up at him. 

"Don't worry if you step on me, Elle. Just look in my eyes." He said softly.

I nodded as his ocean blue eyes stared into mine. I don't know what it was, but the fluttery feeling at the pit of my stomach came back again. It seemed like the world around us completely disappeared and was now a blur. 

That is until a woman who looked like Ali came up. I snapped out of my trans as she smiled. "Mind if I cut in?" She asked.

"I... go ahead." I smiled, removing myself from Johnny. The woman took my place as I walked back to the table we were at previously. I sat down in a seat that I knew neither of Johnny's family was sitting in and sighed. I declined a glass of champagne as I looked over the crowd of people dancing. I didn't really pay attention to them, though. 

What happened just now? Was I enjoying dancing with Johnny? Yes, but the feeling at the pit of my stomach as I looked into his eyes said so much more than what I was thinking about. Then, when I let go of him, I felt almost cold from the loss of his touch. I began to think back to a bunch of memories I had with him. We laughed as we watched the movie. We smiled at each other in the halls. He hugged me like he was protecting me from everything. What was happening to me? Was I actually catching feelings for him? God, I really hope not. 

It'd just make sense, I guess. Sometimes, I even forget that we're doing this to get back at my brother. When I finally snapped back out of my thought, I found Johnny dancing with Ali. I smiled lightly, at least his side is working. But when he pulled her closer to him, I felt a tiny pang of jealously hit me. Of course, I didn't let it show. I was happy for him that he'd get something out of it. While me, on the other hand, wasn't getting anything. Daniel hasn't even attempted to talk to me since that day at the dojo. 

That was it. I felt my heart break a little as I saw it. I didn't care. I didn't. Because he kissed her. I didn't care that he did. This whole arrangement is fake. The problem was, who was I trying to convince?

 A loud crash caused everyone to look towards the kitchen. I stood up and looked over people's shoulders. Daniel laid on the ground with spaghetti staining his white clothes as everyone laughed. I sighed, feeling bad for him as he was getting this embarrassed. Sighing again, I pushed past the people and got in front of him as he tossed away noodles from his clothes. Catching everyone off guard, I stuck my hand out, ready to help him up. 

He stood up, no help from me. "I don't need your help." He spoke through gritted teeth before leaving. I just wanted to call it a truce. I wanted this feud we had going on to stop and I just wanted my brother back. I watched as he stormed out from the kitchen. 

"You know that boy, Noelle?" I heard Laura ask as I began to walk back. 

I nodded, "He's my brother."

• • •

A/N:

shkgfjklg this chapter was so dramatic, omg

bUT hEY noELLE's gOT thE fEELSSSSSSSSSS

and jesus, i only have one more chapter written for this book. :| i should probably write more loll

Vote, Comment, Share

TPWK.

All the love, C. xx