21

• • •

• • •

     "Happy birthday, babe," Johnny says as soon as I open the door. I chuckled happily, hugging him tightly. 

"Aw, thank you." I smiled, removing myself from him.

"These are for you." He pulled a bouquet of red roses from his back and handed them to me.

"They're beautiful, Johnny. Come in." I opened the door wider for him to come in and closed it behind him.

"Hey there, Johnny." Mom greeted, beginning to set the table.

"Hi, Lucille." He smiled back politely. 

"How are you doing?"

"Very well, thanks. You?"

"Good, good. My kids are a year closer to being adults now, hurts just a little." Mom laughed with Johnny as I walked to the kitchen to grab a vase for the roses. Terrible that it was all the way on the top shelf of the cabinet. 

"Need help?" Johnny asked with a chuckle. 

I looked at him, "Please." He easily reached up and grabbed the clear vase from the shelf and grabs it. He hands it to me, a small smile playing on his lips. "You're the best." I smiled, reaching up and kissing his cheek before turning around and filling it with water from the -now fixed- sink. I poured in the thing that keeps the roses fed and placed in the roses. 

"Oh, those are beautiful." Mom said, coming into the kitchen with Johnny and me.

"Aren't they?" 

"Daniel should be here soon." She said with a sigh. "He's late." I shrugged, it honestly wasn't that surprising that he was. If anything, he's probably trying to avoid Johnny and me. I could be wrong, but that's what I get from it. 

"Ah, I'm sure he probably just lost track of time, Ma," I assured her. She nodded, going to the refrigerator and taking out a cake that she frosted half white and the other half green. The white side was covered in daises while the green side was plain with Daniel's name on the side. "That looks great, Ma." I complimented. 

"Yeah? Do you like it? I spent all afternoon on it." She smiled, "Hopefully it tastes as good as it looks."

I chuckled, following her out of the kitchen with Johnny behind me. We sat down and served ourselves a slice of pizza each, waiting on Daniel. While we waited, Johnny, Mom, and I kept in conversation and laughed once in a while as Mom told embarrassing stories of me and Daniel when we were young. "I remember that." I smiled, grabbing my glass of juice and taking a sip.

"You were so angry that we laughed." Mom chuckled, "Oh, those days with Dad." She sighed. 

I pursed my lips, nodding and feeling Johnny's hand grab mine from under the table. "I miss him," I admitted.