3. Coffee and Secrets

Adley's POV
Josh and I are at Java Jones, coffee place right now and I'm trying to figure out if I should tell him about my nightmare or not.

It smells so good in here though. The cinnamon from the cinnamon buns. The warm from the hot coffee. Also the smell of the roses on the tables. The honey scents hidden in the little glass bowls in the middle of the tables.

"Adley, what's wrong with you? Lately you've been quieter than usual and that's a lot for you. You're always talking, always. What's going on?" Josh asks me, he knows me so well. I take a deep breath and spill.

"I had a nightmare, of my parents being killed in front of me in a graveyard. I keep on having it over and over again. The worst part is that it feels so real. I can feel everything in the nightmare. I can hear my parents horrifying screams. I just can't get it to stop. I try and distract myself with training and fighting demons but nothing. I still get it. It's like a sign, like it could happen in real life. I can't handle that, I don't think I could live with myself if my parents ever..." I try to say and Josh holds my hands tight.

"It's ok, you're a badass Shadowhunter. There's nothing that you can't do. Besides, it could be just a dream. No need to overthink it, ok." Josh tries to tell me.

"Ok, maybe you're right" I please him but I think it's a sign. I can feel it

"Good, so how's training going? Is it getting easier?" Josh asks me, I used to struggle with it a lot growing up. It took me forever to have the strength I have today. My parents have helped me get through that for sure.

"Much easier, my parents have done everything they can to train me be the best version of me I can be. It's working, I've never felt more confident than this." I inform Josh and he smiles.

"I knew you could do it. So title is, Adley Herondale, 'Kickass Shadowhunter'. Best friend, Josh Willow's, 'The Warrior on Adley's Side'." Josh jokes and I laugh really hard. He's always known how to make me laugh when I'm stressed. I don't know what I'd do without him.

"There's that laugh, you're welcome." Josh says with a smile. "Thank you Josh, really" I say sincerely and he smiles at me.

I am so grateful for the people I have in my life. I wouldn't change it for the world.

This was just an introduction to Josh Willow's, Adley's best friend in the entire world. ❤️