prologue

In the Debate world, there are five unspoken rules

1. If even one person on your team hates a debater from another school, you are legally obligated to hate them too. Basic loyalty is a must. So what if it's toxic?

2. Beauty IS skin-deep. Appearance DOES matter. If you and your clothes aren't enough to intimidate your opponents, then is that really even a win?

3. You haven't achieved the full experience if you've never pulled an all-nighter with your teammates in the hotel room, the night before the tournament. If you were the given the opportunity and you turned it down, then you're just a loser.

4. Celebrities exist in debate. People who have qualified to the Champion's Rendezvous, or even won it, or just generally have made a really good name for themselves because they never lose. If you ever meet one of them, it's customary to ask for tips or advice...but no pictures.

5. And finally, never, ever, under any circumstances, in any universe, parallel galaxy, or even your own dreams, should you date your debate partner. That's like asking for disaster.

These aren't the actual rules of debate, of course. There's some dusty handbook for that. Just like joining the Mathletes isn't illegal, you can still win even if you throw out these five guidelines.

But as Regina George would say, it's social suicide. And in a community full of strongly opinionated, blood-thirsty and incredibly vocal people, nothing is worse than leaving your reputation to be verbally murdered by them and their logically-planned out words. Backed up with evidence, even.

So, crossing these lines?

May God forbid the travesties that would fall onto that one poor soul.