eleven

today's theme: pinnacle

First, it was fifty minutes.

Then, it was sixty five.

At seventy, Minho ran out of Jisung's cookies. (He held them out for as long as he could, nibbling on them in small bites. Jisung promised he'd make them again as soon as possible.)

At eighty, practically three quarters of the auditorium was on their phones. Jeongin even started an Among Us server and silently passed out the code on sticky notes that Seungmin lent him.

And finally, when it reached a full ninety minutes, Changbin had enough.

He stood up from where he was at the side with Chan's laptop, taking a few moments to rub his sore ass that had met the wooden chair for too long. Grumbling, he walked over to Chan.

"So as debate terminology goes, you guys will be novices. Hey, novices! I'm da—"

"-ngerously close to losing the total respect of your vice captain and debate partner," Changbin threatened, yanking the microphone out of Chan's hands. It let out a high-pitched shriek, causing everyone to either cover their ears, wake up from their naps, or look up from their phones.

"Thanks Chan, I'll go ahead and get to the entertaining things." Changbin spoke into the microphone. It was now his turn in front of the crowd—a much smaller one.

The original sea of people had now dwindled down to half, either scared off by Chan and the overwhelming trove of information he was throwing onto them, or thought they had seen enough of Minho's pretty side profile. Even the Academy supervisors had ditched.

Jisung was right about the Academy's shallowness. It really was just the face.

Chan frowned. "I was being entertaining."

"Yes, and you were doing great, sweetie," Changbin smiled widely, shooing him off stage and returning to his position as Chan's replacement.

"Hello to all you mindless freaks," he greeted them. His intimidating voice instantly got their attention as people clamored back to life. "My name is Changbin, and I'm the team's Vice Captain."

"Now while I'm sure Chan did an absolutely lovely job with explaining debate, I'm sure you're all wondering what kind of shit we do outside of just plainly arguing like programmed idiots."

Everybody nodded at that.

"Fabulous. Because I'd love to tell you all the crazy things that I've had to suffer through, too. For example, one time Hyunjin came back to our hotel room crazy drunk and with four hickeys, each of them bearing four different shades of lipstick."

"You promised you'd keep that a secret, you mousy bitch!" Hyunjin yelled from the first row.

"Please note this doesn't happen as much as you think it does," Chan interjected hurriedly from the sidelines. "We are generally very serious and hardworking people."